Sunday, January 22, 2023

Hoppy New Year tu You

I know it is cringey but 'hoppy', 'tu' and 'tu'gether are some of the cringey rabbit-y puns that I have seen in some ads this year. As a Catholic, I should not believe in superstitions such as zodiac or horoscope readings. However, I grew up reading such things so it kinds of becoming a habit. Since I no longer need to buy the yearly book for my dad anymore, I don't really follow or actively search for such readings but I don't mind reading when I pass by those boards in shopping malls.

I am quite emo reading the one at Suntec which is the first one I read this year. I always thought that the zodiac of the year would have the best luck but this year is the complete opposite. Rabbit basically has the worst since it is 'fan Tai Sui' or directly clash with the Tai Sui. So yeah I am screwed. To make it worse, I am a pessimist who usually believes the bad things will happen but the good things will not. I spent this whole morning trying to find a friend who usually goes to temple to help me ward the bad luck. Hahaha.. I am sure if my dad is still around, he would settle this with usual person who helps him with the temple stuff at Pontianak. After all, my dad is also a rabbit.
I think the worst part is the recommendations. How can you ask people to donate blood just to get rid of bad luck or getting married and having children to have others sharing your back luck?
Believe it or not, the year indeed started on a bad note for me. I completely did not hear my morning alarm clock until the last snooze and I missed my 7am mass. Haiz.. I woke up because of the rain and it was already close to 7am. Ironic because initially I was jolted up to quickly close the windows near my laundry and I was still hoping that the rain would not prevent me from attending the 7am mass. I went for 930am mass and I could not focus with the noises from the latecomers as well as the meh choir.

After mass, I went to Suntec Donki for lunch. It has been a long time since I went out during CNY and I really missed the ancient times when CNY day 1 felt like a zombie city. While the traffic and the crowd are definitely lighter than usual, there are more open business and more people outside. Even the CNY fair at Junction 8 is still open wor.. Sigh.. I tempted myself again with the XM Studios' Mickey and friends CNY figurines but I managed to resist. I feel that resistance is getting futile. I even start to reason that $260 for the full set is reasonable. I just spent almost $100 for Bugs Bunny clothes last week and the most recent figurine on my pre-order (Xiao from Genshin Impact) is also more than $260. However, now that I am in my room and looking at my space, I don't have the place to display the figurines as well as to keep the boxes. So I know the wisest decision is not to buy and I should avoid going to that fair and tempting myself.

I suppose I can pat myself for successfully resisting to buy potato chips and bottled drinks at Donki just now, though I sort of cheated with a bottled drink to go with my lunch just now. It is time to start again with the new year resolutions. Even though I fail to keep them for the 2023 new year, now comes the second chance to have them as the resolutions for the Chinese new year.

No comments: