Sunday, January 15, 2023

Bugs Bunny shopping

Unlike my sisters, I cannot be bothered and do not have the habit of buying new clothes for Chinese New Year. In fact, the last time I bought a t-shirt for CNY was 4 years ago since Mickey would be relevant for the year of the rat. This coming CNY will be the year of the bunny and Warner Bros is also celebrating its 100 anniversary. Hence, there are a lot of Bugs Bunny clothes which I decided to buy since it is rare to have clothes featuring Bugs Bunny. Hehe.. I deliberately write year of the bunny, instead of rabbit, because of Bugs Bunny.

On Friday, I bought a shirt from Cotton On which unfortunately did not have a discount. At $49.90, it is the most expensive shirt I have ever bought. Oh well, an exception since it is Bugs Bunny and it has a bit of spring-y design. I have never bought from Cotton On previously so I thought their sizes were huge and I went to try XS. Clearly I over-estimated my fatness. Lol. In the end, it was either S or M for me. I went with S for the shirt. I hesitated with a t-shirt which I found the material to be very thin. I felt so conscious about visible nipple and I could even see skin colour when I turned my back since there is no print at the back.

I decided to buy the t-shirt today. Haha.. Yesterday I saw that Bugs Bunny t-shirts at Uniqlo is discounted to $14.90 (from the original price $19.90), perhaps only for this weekend. Thus I made up my mind to either buy from Uniqlo or Cotton On. In the end I bought 2 t-shirts from Cotton On because I saw a design that I did not see on the website or at the Vivo City branch on Friday. Initially I only planned to buy that new design but I received a $5 voucher after buying that and it will expire in March. Hence, I decided to just buy the white as well so that I won't think about it or the voucher anymore. If it is indeed too thin and I am not confident wearing it, I can just wear it to sleep. I saw so many people wearing white and their body was also meh so if they were confident about it, perhaps I was too self-conscious. Lol. Anyway the t-shirt from Cotton On was $24.79 each which was discounted from $39.90. If there is no discount, there is no way I will spend 40 bucks for a t-shirt.
Can open Bugs boutique
I also went to check the CNY fair at Junction 8 yesterday and my Mickey shirt is not outdated. Haha.. So funny. They make Mickey wear bunny ears and have him together with other Disney's bunny characters to celebrate the year of rabbit. In fact, I saw the t-shirt I bought 4 years ago but only for the children version. Lol.

I was tempted to buy CNY figurines from XM Studios which were also old stock from last year's CNY. (Un)fortunately, there was no stock for the figurine of Mickey and Minnie doing the dragon dance. Otherwise, I would definitely buy the whole set. Without the 'main' figurine, there is no point having any so it is all or none for me.

I finally tried Shake Shack since it has a branch now at Junction 8. It was my first and possibly the my last time. Nothing against the taste but it is way too pricey for me. It cost me almost $20 just for one burger and one bacon cheese fries. No drinks and that was only a single patty burger. Thankfully free drinking water was available from the dispenser and it was my first time seeing handwashing machine. The machine automatically dispenses water, soap, water again to rinse and then finally the tissue paper.

The last interesting thing this week is my first encounter with a case of self harm in my volunteer work. I am a problem solver and my focus was on things that stressed the person that she had to resort to the self harm. I learnt that it is not the correct approach. I should address the self harm behaviour first to see if it can be discouraged before proceeding to discuss about the stress. I felt very annoyed with one of the team leads who tried to break the ice by talking about random things. He went on that route for a good half an hour. I thought it was a waste of time because it neither addressed the self harm nor the stress and eventually we still had to go there. 

This encounter was a reminder for me to learn humility again. This area of social work is entirely new to me and it seems that I cannot apply the same approaches that I use in my pharmacy work. There will circumstances where I would not know what to do or how to proceed and I have to be humble to ask. I am glad that I did that precisely and I literally asked for input at every reply I received. I hope I will know how to do better if I encounter something similar again.

It makes me wonder how youngsters nowadays are exposed to the idea of self harm. I was never taught about it at school and I only learnt about self harm when studying the drugs which may cause suicidal or homicidal side effects. Thus I cannot put myself in their frame of minds or shoes and I find it difficult to empathise and to try to help. I also cannot visualise how self harm provides stress relief. I also face a lot of stress with studies, CCAs, loneliness and homelessness but self harm never crosses my mind. The worst is only the thought of how nice it would be for me to be dead instead. Is passive suicidal tendency better or worse than self harm? I don't know haha...

No comments: