Friday, February 26, 2021

Gastroscopy and Colonoscopy

I did not have a good night sleep since I woke up at around 330am for another round of  bowel movement.  After that, I woke up at 6am to take the morning serving of the bowel prep. I was actually allowed to take it between 7-8am but since it took me around 3 hours before I stopped running to the toilet, I decided to take it at 6am so that by the time I left home I did not need to shit anymore.

There were another 4 runs to the toilet and my butthole was really really sore. I mostly passed water so it was really surprising that it could irritate my butthole. I was worried that I did not have any solid passing out but that worry was unnecessary. I googled to find that the sign of the bowel being clean is that it should only be passing liquid and it should be getting clearer. So my bowel has been getting cleaner. Is it only fibre that cause solid stools and since I skipped vegetables and fruits since Wednesday, there was no solid stools to be excreted? But carbohydrates and proteins are completely absorbed? I seriously forgot my biology.

Previously I did not really pay attention to what my private insurance covered. This time I used company's coverage and I learnt that the insurance only covers after Medisave deduction. Since Medisave is my money, it is as if I also have to pay -_- I asked the admission staff and was informed that if the policy covers the Medisave portion, it would be refunded to Medisave by the insurer later on. Anyway Medisave cannot be withdrawn so I am not too bothered about this. I will just take this as a learning experience to compare if next time I should just activate my private coverage or the company's coverage is good enough.

The most obvious difference is the ward coverage as with the company's policy, I am only entitled to 4-bed room. Not really a big deal for this day surgery as I would be only in the ward for awhile. So in the future, if I need to stay for more than a day, I will definitely use my private insurance straight away for a personal room. I really need the sense of privacy, safety for my belongings, quiet, and personal toilet. Haha...

I waited for around 1.5 hours before being wheeled to the endoscopy room. In midst of all the waiting time, I only entertained myself by taking some selfies. To prepare for the gastroscopy, I was sprayed with something which was awful twice. The sedation was very smooth as I was not even asked to count and I was already unconscious. I returned to consciousness very quickly. I heard one of the nurses said that I was already ++ alert. Haha.. I was self conscious as I could not tell if it was only gas or there was liquid too but my butt felt wet. Actually it was mostly gas and the wet feeling came from the lubricant use for the procedure. Now I think I know why the recovery after my hernia surgery previously took longer. It was not due to the anaesthesia but due to the painkillers. After the scopes today, I did not receive any medicine and thus I got up quite quickly. I had lunch and by 3pm I was already discharged. 
Fish porridge for lunch as I am supposed to abstain on Lenten Fridays
I read the report and I am glad that I did the colonoscopy. My colon looks smooth and there is nothing worrying. However, there were hemorrhoids (yaiks!!) which were treated by energy therapy during the colonoscopy itself. So my suffering from the bowel preparation at least had some use. I am not surprised that there are signs of eosophagitis and gastritis considering the frequency of my gastric. However, the 'surprise' is a gastric polyp. I need to return in 2 weeks time for the results and I hope it is not cancer or something. I was discharged with rabeprazole and lubiprostone. Initially I was thinking to keep them aside and use them as PRN. After seeing my report, I think I should be a good boy and finish them for now. That is all for my day surgery experience.

Last week, I gave up of trying to hit $500 spending for this month. Today, I fell into the dark side. I bought Bee Cheng Hiang for my uncle and aunt since he was already at home when I came to visit on Tuesday. That brought my spending within $500. I am short of $50 spending vs potential $30 interest if I can meet the $500. I decided to spend for Genshin Impact T_T. I told myself that it would mean I only spent $20 to get $50-worth of in-game stuff. I know it is a stupid excuse but haiz.. let's just say it is a congratulations for myself to be able to complete the day surgery alone.

2014: hernia surgery
2021: gastroscopy and colonoscopy
When will it be heaven?

No comments: