Sunday, September 27, 2020

Duo Me Doll sucks

I feel like shit to discover that the custom figure of myself broke. I had it done in December 2018 so it is barely 2 years old. I took a good care of it by not storing it in an airy cupboard and away from light and heat. I even open the cupboard door occasionally to let cool air in. What is more painful than seeing $200 gone just like that is that I never even had the chance of taking photos of it. I did not expect its lifespan will be this pathetic. The previous custom figure of myself (Lilliput Island) lasted longer and it was much cheaper. In fact, other than the initial chip on the hair, the figure still retained its condition at least until the last time I saw it in 2017.

This Duomedoll is actually quite disappointing right from the start. That's why I have been lazy to take a photo. Similar to the previous one, the hair was already having some problem since the start. However, overall this Duomedoll is not similar to the photo that I sent. Since having a customised body only cost $20 more, I decided to choose the iconic pose of Heero Yuy. The body was quite disappointing: the 'neck' is too long,  the raised arm is more muscular than the relaxed arm, the shirt is tight (unlike the original picture), there are white discolourations and the body is not upright but slightly bows to the front. Although I appreciate the creativity for the base, the bricks look lame. The details of the shoes are good though.
The cracks are not obvious in pictures but they are so obvious in person
The source of inspiration
The dismembered head
I tried to remove the head in hope of gluing the cracks together. After dismembering my own head, it is not a surprise that the lifespan of this shit is so short. Instead of being sculpted as a whole head, it was done like how we played plasticine when we were kids. There is a wire that connects the body to the head. Inside the head, this wire is 'wrapped' by a layer of the clay and then the rest of the head goes around this layer. The hair is a separate piece pasted over. While the layer around the wire remained intact, the rest of the clay making the head simply disintegrated into many irregular pieces. I really wonder what the initial material was that it can disintegrate naturally until this bad. I threw away without taking any photos of the broken state as it is just making me emo.

I wanted to throw the body so that I am not reminded by this $200 shit anymore. However, I decided to still keep it since the body seems quite sturdy and has not shown any sign of disintegration. I think it is clear that the materials used for the head is simply of a lousier quality. If only the quality of the head is as good as the body :( While I know things do not last forever, I knew my gut was right that I was buying shit as the guy could not speak English. Anything coming from THAT country cannot be good and yep I am right.

Breaking the head of the figure feels like breaking my own head as I am having a headache now. Haiz.. This evening I was in a good mood and I wanted to complete my faith story. Now this shit happened and my mood turned shit again. Damn it..

One thing for sure: no more clay figures now. I will consider if it is made of resin though. So sad that previously from Lilliput Island is more long lasting, cheaper, but unable to make a customised body while this Duomedoll can have customised body the head (which is the most important part) does not last long.

No comments: