Saturday, May 9, 2020

Into the frontline

One month ago I wrote that I made myself available for volunteering at the clinic where I am regularly volunteering but was subsequently informed that they had sufficient manpower without me. Earlier this week, I was contacted if I would be available for the next 3 Saturdays. Hmm.. I wonder what happened.. I am no saint and honestly I am scared if I am putting myself to risk of coronavirus. It does not help that for the past few weeks, the migrant workers form the majority of the COVID cases here. In addition, there are reports of healthcare workers getting infected in the past few days. In the end, I decided to fulfil my promise from 2 years ago and I said okay for today and the 23rd. I did not want to overpromise 3 Saturdays in a row since I did not know if I could survive a 3 hour session in full PPE.

I just finished my session today and oh boy.. I am so exhausted. My 7 years of experience in primary care only exposed me to PPE for chicken pox or shingles and I did not need goggles as I am already wearing glasses. Today, I had to put on goggles and because it did not fit (my glasses is too wide), I had to wear face shield. So essentially it was my first time with the full PPE.

My previous experience with PPE was for less than 10 minutes per session, although I had one session for almost an hour when I was stuck in the isolation room while waiting something from the doctor and the pharmacy so that I did not have to de-gown and gown up again. Today I survived 2.5 hours in the PPE. I was not really bothered about the sweat but what 'killed' me was the N95. At the 1 hour mark, I felt like I was wearing my braces again. Add the dryness, the taste in my mouth was unusual and I was worried if I was bleeding inside. After that, I had to tone down and slow down in my counselling so as to relax my mouth a bit.

Thank God for this experience. Now I can really emphatise with those photos of healthcare workers with wounds because of the masks (yes N95 is that pressing to the face) or when they are so exhausted in their PPE (yes even I had to sit down in one corner for awhile to just cool down the sweat, bear the pain, and prepare to continue). So really salute and respect to these people who have to do this 8 hours (or more) a day for 5 days (or more) a week for the past and the coming few months.

During the usual clinic operating hours, there are 30-40 patients in 2 hours. Because of the current situation, there were only 15 patients just now and there was no URTI at all. Majority was chronic follow up. Honestly, I cannot imagine dispensing to 30-40 patients as usual with the full PPE. It is impossible.

So after today, I informed the clinic that if they still need manpower next week, I will be available since I know I can survive. Haha.. And for anything longer than 3 hours with PPE next time, I know my limits lah hor.

No comments: