Sunday, August 23, 2020

Ups and downs

Things changed so quickly yesterday. When I bought snacks at lunch time, the mini market uncle asked if I was studying here. Hehe.. Maybe the mask helps. Or perhaps my voice is simply like girls voice because in the evening, someone called me as SISTER! Ouch.. Sadly the 'astronaut suit' PPE was not available so I chose blue that I never tried before. I blamed it on the blue PPE because previously in all the time I was in yellow one, I was always a mister. Haha..

It was my first time volunteering again since CB ended so it took quite awhile to adapt to the breathing through N95. It was not as terrible as the very first time for the breathing but my skin is still as sensitive. I have maskne (mask acne) around the cheeks and chin already. Bleah.. I was also not as impatient as previously although ironically, I lost my cool right at the first patient. Lol. Other than him, I was ok for the rest yesterday. I lost my cool because this person kept cutting me, instead of letting me finish first, even after I said to wait until I finished then I would address his concern. He kept asking about the insulin needles when I already said later I would go back in the clinic and bring the needles for him. I was even sarcastic, "I am out here and the needles are inside. They will not magically appear here." before I went in to look for the needles.

Today is the last day of the Novena in honour of Assumption of Mary. Although I started on it grudgingly because I find it rather sian having to follow daily mass, some homilies for this week are quite relevant for me. The most memorable one is on how seeing Christ in others. It is a reminder for me during volunteering to not just focus on the 'clearing crowd' part. I know I am there for my professional role but I am also there to volunteer so I should not forget about the volunteerism spirit. Perhaps this helped me to be calmer yesterday until got mistaken as a sister (which is how we call nurses) for the care and concern. Lol... Or perhaps it was because the weather was cooler and it also had been quite sometime since my last duty so I was not so agitated.

My mum and younger sister received their baptism yesterday morning. Sadly, the family whatsapp group turned 180 degrees south in the evening as a cousin of mine delivered her baby prematurely. The baby only survived for a few hours. I have been tempted to leave the group since last week and now the push is getting stronger. For no reason, I am quite pissed with the congratulatory messages when it was already said that the baby was premature. Someone asked the weight and the baby was only 700gr as she was still in the 2nd trimester. I have no children but I know usual birth weight is around 3kg. These people who said 'congratulations' are mothers themselves. Either they did not read or they could not be bothered or what.

At the start of this month, I bought Aladdin 'Group Hug' figurine from Enesco from a dodgy website (www.shop4sg.com). I never saw this website before and its facebook page is full of stupid memes, instead of looking like a proper shop. But since its price is the cheapest (SGD 93 with free shipping vs elsewhere is all above USD 100), I decided to buy after checking that their address can at least be googled. Haha.. They accept PayPal so if it turns out to be a scam, at least I am protected.

The shop is legit and I received the item earlier this week but they sent me a damaged item. Sigh.. On the bright side, at least their live chat is responsive but that is the only good words I have. I was only given the options of 25% partial refund or return for full refund. The person LIED that there was no replacement stock. When I told her that the website still showed available stock, she said that the stock is not in the warehouse so she cannot arrange a replacement. Fuck! Is that even my problem? That is the shop problem. Really a stupid reason. The packaging box came super crushed and I could not re-use it to ship back. With the COVID, there is no way I am going to take all the trouble to ship just for a refund. I will be in worse state than before I even bought this: I will be back to square one (have my money and no item) but spend extra hassle to arrange for return shipping. I made the correct choice to make this purchase as guest since there is no way I will buy from this website again.

No comments: