Sunday, February 5, 2023

Be salt, not salty

My aunt has returned from Australia and to make up for the loss of CNY steamboat, she held Cap Go Meh steamboat instead. Honestly I felt lazy to go because I preferred sleeping in on Sunday but she took care of me when I was covid-ed :( So I could not that be that ungrateful. I decided to come earlier rather than going home first after morning Mass and my gym. I tried to delay my arrival buy getting a cup of yuan yang at Hougang Mall which only gave me only half an hour. Not worth breaking my promise to start cutting down on such drinks. Oh well, the price ($2.30) was 'just nice' for me to spend my 30 cents coins. Anyway I felt like an idiot because the drink stall was very advance that the staff did not handle the money and I was supposed to put it into a cash deposit machine which I did not see. The staff was not clear with her instruction and the cash deposit machine position was very low that I did not see it until the customer behind me told me.

I planned to have lunch and then quickly go home. Unfortunately, one of my cousins only arrived past 2pm. After that, we 'played' Black Jack until 630pm. With a blink of an eye, I ended up with having steamboat for both lunch and dinner. I ran out of my luck because I spent $2.50 for the Black Jack. Haha.. It was gambling for fun and I was the worst loser. The funny thing was that every time I wanted to give up playing by betting all that I had remaining, I ended up winning again and the game continued on dragging. At one point I was down to 20 cents before reaching $1.40 somehow. So yeah, that's why I do not gamble, I do not buy 4D or toto etc because usually I don't have the luck for this kind of thing. Just gambling my luck with my gacha games is enough for me lol.

Now I do not regret buying my blue Bugs Bunny shirt from Cotton On which I thought was not CNY-enough. Blue represents water nicely and this year is the year of water rabbit. The shirt received good comments from some colleagues during the CNY lunch and some people during the steamboat just now.

Today's gospel provides me a lot of comfort and gives me a good perspective to the cliche 'Be salt of the earth... Be light of the world...'. One part of the homily which caught my interest is that the being salt and being light also mean not to draw the attention to ourselves. Salt is present to give flavour or to preserve the food. Light is present so that we can see things around us. I agree and expand it to the fact that if people can notice salt in the food, that means the food is too salty and the salt basically ruins the food, rather than enhancing it. Similarly if a light is too bright, it ends up blinding or even burning. That is exactly what I want to shove down to the people serving in church but forget if they are doing God's work or they are just doing things for the sake of themselves.

No comments: