Sunday, January 24, 2021

Looking forward to Lent

I just went for Mass earlier and time really flies. Chinese New Year is coming in less than 3 weeks and Ash Wednesday is immediately on the Wednesday after CNY. I am honestly surprised that I am looking forward to Lent for a reset with my life.

My spiritual state has not improved much since last week. I still feel that I am just reciting prayers and babbling to myself instead of actually praying and having a conversation with God. I am paying more attention to my food as my weight is slowly increasing. Not to mention that the cooling weather has been my excuse to be lazy with my gym for the past 2 weeks.

I am also getting worked up over $50 as I missed quarterly rebate for my UOB One Card because I got mixed up between $500 spending requirement based on calendar month (for interest to my savings account) vs statement month (for the rebate). My statement month ends on the 27th and in Nov, my last few spendings to reach the $500 was after the 27th. Because of this, I am watching my spending more closely this month. Not to mention that DBS Multiplier is cutting down interest rates from this month and for me to maximise, putting all my money to UOB is more worth it provided I hit the $500. If I don't hit, I will end up with zero bonus interest. I end up spending more for food and potato chips. While these are not sufficient to hit the $500, they are really successful to make me fat.

I was short of $120 yesterday but somehow I managed to hit it yesterday. Lol. I collected my Singapore Mint Ox coins yesterday and there was an ongoing store promotion for Mickey-shaped CNY medallions. I wanted to pre-order them previously but I did not. I was being a scrooge back then. When there was a promotion for Singapore Mint membership in November, I rejected since I thought there would not be many things that I would buy. After all, I usually only buy the Ni-Cu coin and Treasure Cove pack for every CNY. Anything other than that is only as and when there is any interesting things. When the pre-order letter came in December, there are a lot of Disney CNY stuff T_T I calculated that I would save if I were to sign up as member previously. Because of that, I did not order any of the Disney CNY stuff in hope of a membership promotion again.

I bought the medallion for $22 yesterday which is cheaper than $25 member price. The individual 12 Zodiac medallions are also on promotion ($16 x 12 = $192). It will be cheaper than the full set ($210 even for member) but I want the full set because of the box. Haiz.. A pass for this for now since in 2020 I already bought a full set.

Initially I wanted to get Haikyuu Complete Illustration book to wrap up my monthly spending. I went to Kinokuniya for the first time in more than a year haha.. In the end I did not buy it. I realised that my membership was expiring and it would cost $55+ to renew for three years. Luckily I checked my card more carefully because yesterday happened to be the last day i.e. it was not expired yet. I ended up buying 2 postcard books for Twisted Wonderland. I will renew my membership next time when I have difficulty hitting monthly spending requirements. Hehe.. So what happened to the Haikyuu book? I will buy it as delivery next time as it is thick and heavy. There is Slam Dunk Illustration Book vol 2 which is also big and heavy. So perhaps I will wait until April for 20% sale for Good Friday weekend (I hope there would be) to renew membership and get these two books. I am pretty sure there will be sale for CNY in Feb but I will skip because I have my skin doctor appointment and hitting $500 for Feb will not be a problem.

Frankly I am hoping for another lockdown. The crowd is getting normal and any distancing is just impractical. I just find it irritating to be in a crowd and still having to don a mask. I think it is easier to hope for a lockdown so that it gets less crowded and to hope for no longer need to wear a mask. People are getting more irresponsible as well. This morning I kept hearing people coughing, clearing their throat, or snorting their nose during Mass. Gosh.. If you are not well, please stay at home! I hope they were just having rhinitis because of the aircon but given the current situation, it just feels so irritating to be around these people.

I collected my Trace Together token and so far I have not received any notification of close proximity with a suspect case. Lol I am hoping I have that so that I can excuse myself from going to office for this coming week. Sian...

So much angst.. so much negativity.. so much unhappiness. That's why I am waiting for Lent so that I have a stronger reason to give up my junk food which will indirectly help with my weight. Lent is also a season for praying which I hope can somehow revitalise my spiritual state.

No comments: