Sunday, January 3, 2021

Rainy days reflection

It has been raining non-stop for the first two days of 2021 and I am not complaining. It is so nice to experience cool weather without the aircon. I bluffed my aunt that I was not feeling well during Christmas so that I did not have to go to her place. I actually just wanted to play game. Hehe.. Because of that, I could not bluff for New Year again. I went out at around 1130am but the heavy rain and slow bus made me turn back. I told my aunt that because it was raining, I would not be visiting. She said it was raining at her place too so just wait until the rain stopped. I spent the time napping until 2pm+ and it was still raining.

By then I was feeling hungry and I did not have any food. I did not order delivery since I think it would be difficult finding drivers during such weather. As much as I was lazy, when the rain lightened, I decided to go since I needed food. Surprisingly, my simple last meal in 2020 (which was Burger King burger+onion ring+Hersheys pie) lasted from dinner time until 430pm. Haha... For someone living alone, I cannot be bothered about whatever phase and how many people can gather. For people with family, it actually matters. When I reached, I was the 8th guest. When there was additional people, someone else had to go. Lol.

On the way home I was considering of getting groceries in case the rain continued over the weekend. I decided to keep a clean sheet of no spending for first day of the year. After all, what is the odd that it rains continuously in this tropical city? Well it rained for the whole day again yesterday haha... I cancelled my gym and just slacked for the whole day again. I had to wait until the rain lightened in the late afternoon for me to go out and get food. This time I decided to buy some potato chips and instant noodles in case it would be raining for the whole day again today. That is against my new year resolution to start the new year right without junk food.

Of course after I am prepared, it stopped raining today -_-" A part of me was hoping that it would rain so that I had an excuse to skip Mass and skip gym. Tsk tsk... On my way home, it started to rain again although it was not as heavy as yesterday. I should be grateful since I got the best of the both worlds: I finished my Sunday routine and I enjoy the cooling weather at home now. It was also my last time to experience the gym at Orchard since I would be returning to my usual branch at Holland Village from tomorrow.

After writing so long, what exactly is the reflection? Haha.. Attending Mass today is a blessing as again I heard the story about the 3 trees. One hoped to carry the most precious treasure, one hoped to a strong ship which carry kings across the ocean, and one hoped to be the biggest tree on the mountain that everyone would admire. Their hopes were dashed after they were made into a manger, a small boat, and beams of wood. They did not realise until later on they became the manger where baby Jesus was laid, the boat on which Jesus calmed to storm, and the wood of the cross. The take home message is a reminder for me to have faith in God's plan although I do not know what is going on in my life. I do not think I am making any progress in 2020 to find out what exactly God wants me to do with my life and I am just as passively suicidal as ever.
I bought this sculpture which depicts the story above for $8. I did not see before I bought and I did not regret buying. In fact after opening and looking at this at home, I felt that I should have bought two. Unexpectedly, the story above is actually an invention of the pastor who preached the homily today. Today is his last Sunday in the parish as he is having a new appointment from next week onwards. Previously I knew him from the Holy Cross when I was still in the NUS. He was then assigned to my current parish around 3 years ago. So indeed I like his homily style and will definitely miss his homilies.

Year 2020 allowed me to cut down my annual spending by 1/3. Wow! All spending went down including daily necessities such as food, groceries and transport. I never expected I could cut down on my spending for anime related merchandises but I finally did in 2020. I think I have reached the point where I really have no more space in my room sigh. The biggest savings come from $0 travelling related expenses and gym. Hehe.. 2021 will not be as good, even if COVID continues and I still cannot travel, as I would have to renew my gym in another 7 months time. I should be happy but I am not :( Whatever I save in 2020 will be gone by this April as I have to pay my yearly endowment funds. I know I should not be thinking that way since in the previous years,  I still had to pay those funds while spending like mad. Clearly money does not bring me happiness and the chase after money is never ending. That's why I am still finding what exactly can make me happy.

I am not looking forward to be back to office tomorrow. Haiz.. I am left with half a day to enjoy my game and read Catholic News. I managed to get a copy today and it would be my first time reading it since the Church closure last year.  Wew...

No comments: