Friday, September 30, 2011

NEX

If not because of my rotation, I would never ever visited Nex @ Serangoon. Despite hearing all the good food there, I am lazy to specially travel there just to look and see. Now it has become my regular chill-out place after work. Haha.. The first time I stepped my feet there, I was a bit disappointed. I thought it was cramped and only had 2 levels. But I was actually only on the B2 and B1! Lol. So yeah, it is a pretty nice mall but the low ceiling makes it feel just like "any other shopping centre in the neighbourhood". If only their design includes high ceiling, that will definitely add an "oomph".

I am gonna share some of the interesting shops I find there. On top of my list is the Green Pumpkin Japanese Bakery. The "Japanese" is not only the name. They had interesting things like Miso Karage, various Melon Pan, Green Tea Pan, and Sakura Pan, Edamame and corn on baquette, okonomiyaki bread, etc. Really genius! The best seller #1 is Green Pumpkin bread. The flavour is there although the thing got stuck everywhere on my teeth. Haha.. Best seller #2 is White Cheese bread. It is my favourite. It is cheesy but not over-cheesy (Lol??). Best seller #3, Melon Mango Pan, is a disappointment to me as I can taste neither of the 2 of my favourite fruits. I tried of one of the green tea-based bread but the green tea taste is not strong enough. Today I am trying their Durian Cream and I expect something good!! Haha... Price-wise, a bit pricey in my opinion as most are $1.60 or more. But I don't mind to buy because their flavours are unique and are not mere copycat from other bakeries.

Next is Broaster Chicken. I believe it is a local fast food chain. Unfortunately it is just next to McDonalds. Sometimes I wonder why people wanna fight for queue at McD while the shop next to it is not that crowded. Does brand really matter? The price is very decent. I only tried their chicken strips. It was $5.95 (or maybe $6.95? I forgot because it was a week ago) for 5 pieces chicken strips + meal! That is much better than 3pc chicken strips from Popeyes. The size is normal so 5 strips are filling. Of course it is not perfect because I find it rather bland. But would I come back? I surely will. It is value for money.

Lately I am craving for Japanese food. Last week I entered a wrong shop. Haiz.. I was craving for ramen but I entered a shop with no ramen -__-". I saw the price wrongly too. I thought $13+ was already including rice but when I read the menu (after I sat down), I saw that rice and bla bla bla would need additional $4+. Crazy. I bought a set with udon (the closest I can find to ramen...), some weird sushi with black pork slices, and 3 slices of sashimi. Almost $25. Gosh! The only good thing about the shop is the cute male waiter.

Today, being the last day of the month, I decided to eat more extravagantly. I tried Ramen Play. I had the most expensive instant noodle in my life! Bleah.. I expected the ramen is like from Ajisen Ramen type, not the instant noodle type. Bleah... I ordered a standard pork tonkatsu curry ramen. The pork meat is good but the batter is too thin. It is not "Japanese" enough. The curry is also good but it tastes very much like instant noodle seasoning! And here comes the worst part: before the dish arrived, I was served with stir-fried spicy chives to give a try. Soon after that, the waitress came to take it away -___- It seems like they only have a few jars of the thing and have to share it among the customers. Pathetic man! So even with the $10 voucher (to be used next time if I eat more than $30), I am not gonna go back anymore. To be fair, the food is pretty good. But witth the same price, I rather have a more proper Japanese-style taste (like Ajisen Ramen) rather than instant noodle kind of taste.

Enough about food. I am happy to find MCKY Collection there. As the name suggests, it is a Disney shop. They have lovely original Disney stuff there. Lol.. Too bad the plushies are still not as cute as my sister's Mickey and Minnie at home. Those she has are still the most original-looking one haha.. Or maybe because I am used to them for so many donkey years that any other things look less like a Mickey and a Minnie.

LG shop is there too. I am happy to see Lollipop phones are still available. But urgh.. the price really makes me vomit blood. Seriously it is a bloody old phone. Why don't the price drop! At $248, it is equal to Android-based phones like Optimus One, for example. Nobody in the right mind will buy Lollipop..

So 2 weeks left in PSC. I am gonna treasure the last few opportunities to go to Nex after work. My aim is to at least taste all the interesting flavour from the Green Pumpkin bakery. Yum yum  ^o^

No comments: