Wednesday, September 21, 2011

One Pound Gospel/One Pound no Fukuin


Synopsis:
Hatanaka Kosaku is a talented boxer who turned pro at the age of 19, winning his debut match with a first round KO. He is talented, but he has no guts. His uncontrollable appetite is an even bigger problem. He can’t put himself in the right weight class, he runs out of energy because of hunger, and he gets knocked out while his eyes are set on food at the ringside. However, Kosaku’s life changed when he met Sister Angela, a novice nun in the convent near his boxing gym. She became the source of his power, and Kosaku fights only to win her heart. --NTV
My opinion:
The first time I came across this dorama was when I was into KAT-TUN last year (or was it 2 years ago?). I am not a fan of Kamenashi Kazuya so the 'wow' factor for me is more due to the fact that the story is based on a Takahashi Rumiko's manga. I enjoy her Ranma and Inu Yasha very much (Although I did not buy the manga for this one because the manga is kinda "oldies" :p). In addition, boxing is quite a rare sports theme to be featured in anime, manga, or TV shows. So perhaps I can learn a bit more about it while watching this.

I have a high expectation because I know it is gonna be a romantic comedy + sports, my 2 favourite genres.  Plus Ranma caused me to cry in laughter so I am hoping something of that level of craziness  and hilarity. Unfortunately, it is more of "trying to be funny" rather than "naturally funny". I get the feeling that the producers are simply using Kame's star power and let him do all the job to make the audience laugh. I have to agree that there are some funny scenes but most of the funny scenes are quite akward with Kame alone shouting and trying to be funny while other characters don't seem able to act funny. End product is corny, instead of funny.

The plot itself is quite weak. I do not see any development from the start. There isn't much about boxing, the matches are not exciting, and the love story development is unclear. Throughout the series,  it keeps repeating the same pattern: Kousaku eats too much -> failed weighing -> had to lose weight -> pre-match emo-ness -> Sister Angela comes to the rescue -> back to the start. Just replace the "->" with whatever lameness  for the sake of  filling the airtime. The final championship match was terrible and the victory came in a very anti-climatic manner.
 
Overall, it is a mediocre show, sometimes to the verge of being boring. Not funny enough as a comedy.. not sporty enough to be a sports dorama.. not sweet enough as a romance. I do find Kame's acting excellent and I find Meisa Kuroki very interesting to watch as she can be strict, angry,  sweet, funny, lame, and she is very pretty! In fact, I find that she is prettier in the habit than in the normal clothes. Lol.

My afterthoughts:
A few weeks ago, I tried boxing in Wii. It was damn tiring although I was only punching air and I played only for a shortwhile. Imagine a real boxer has to fight for 10 rounds (if  there is no KO) with all the physical impact of punching and being punched. Seeing how they sweat when they box or how groggy they become after a punch does not seem very fake now. Lol.

I am jealous of Kame's body!! How can he be so scrawny but he has the muscle strength to do the various physical manouvers/exercises shown here!! It also makes my heart ache when I see how much he has to undergo to lose weight T_T Liddat no way I can be slim with the kind of exercises that I do. Huhuhu :'(

I am also jealous with Kousaku's personality. He is a simple guy. He is happy just seeing the girl whom he loves happy. No matter how shit the circumstances he is in, he never loses his cool, never shouts and never curses to express his anger. It must be nice to be positive like that. Haiz..

Some lessons of life now. To me, this series underscores the importance of hard work, strong will, people's support and miracle/God's blessings/luck as a formula to success. Although it is very cliche, Kousaku is always on the verge of losing but somehow he managed to hold on until the opportunity comes when he can KO his opponent. Without his hard work, he may not be able to physically withstand the blows until the time when the golden opportunity comes. He may not get up when he is down if not because of his supporters cheering from the side of the ring to encourage him to get up. And lastly, he has the will and the focus to win, although initially it is because of his love for Sister Angela. I think that is similar to our own life. To be successful, we need the all 4. I don't know what my life will be now. I am lazy, I have no good reason for doing what I am doing, and it depends on luck whether I will be surrounded by people who will support me :( How to be a succesful person like that?? Haiz..

I will end with a quote that I like. These are the words by the Mother Superior to Sister Angela who is confused whether to remain in the convent as a nun or to quit the convent and be together with Kousaku.  I think this is applicable for everybody since as humans, we are always afraid of changes. It is always not easy to decide: to stay or to move on??

"You can remain here and nothing will change. Or you can take a step outside and everything will not be the same. Both are equally scary, aren't they?"

No comments: