Saturday, August 9, 2008

Bangkok

Finally, my 1 month of endless activities is over. And now I have 2 days to recover and get ready for school on Monday. Haha... I did not have much time to blog lately so I shall write about my Bangkok trip first. Maybe tonight or tomorrow then I share about my orientation week experiences.

The trip to Bangkok was a bit disappointing for me. Haha. I was hesitant to go anyway. But I have 2 friends who had been there and both say that it is nice. So I trusted them. I did not go with the intention to shop but to take photos :) They say that Bangkok has a lot of places to take nice photos. That what made me so eager to go.

I went with my dad and sister and we arrived at Bangkok on Saturday evening. I was impressed with the airport. They have so many lights. Too many lights in fact. But that gives the impression of a very nice airport. The interior is all made of steel/iron/something like that and the ceiling is so high. So basically the Suvarnabhumi Airport is bigger than Changi but Changi is still of higher standard la. Thailand's tourism is also so advanced that I saw so many people and flights from cities that I never see in Singapore before. One interesting thing at the immigration counter is that there was a camera. The people are supposed to look at the camera and I think the officer would take photo. So I kept looking at the camera and smiling. Lol.

The following day I went to Chatuchak Market. It is a weekend market so my dad was like die-die must go there. Haiz... It was like going to a wet market. It was so hot and thus I did not really enjoy it. I did not have anything to shop also. And I hate to bargain. Well, at least I experienced the train system in Bangkok. The train is colder than MRT haha... And on that day, I concluded that Bangkok is just a city like Jakarta. So I guess now onwards I won't be so eager to go to Asian cities. Ok, Bangkok is better than Jakarta because it has train system and it is cleaner. I hope my hometown can advance like that in a few years time.

For shopping, I also went to the shopping mall across my hotel (meaning the hotel at which I stayed, not the hotel which belonged to me!) and Siam Centre. Not all at the same day of course but since it had been 2 weeks plus since then, I kind of forgot the sequence already.

I shall highlight the high moments of my shopping spree. Lol. I am so glad that I found a manga 'Please Save My Earth' volume 1! Gosh... I missed out the Indon version and have been looking for it for about 10 years and here I found it! Yay! It is the US version (I don't know why it is no longer in sale in Singapore) and it cost 450 baht (quite the same as the price of US mangas in Singapore). Secondly, I bought a local manga. Thailand has so many manga publishers. I was wowed. The people are so lucky! The price is roughly the same as the indon version but the quality is lousier. Haha... And my favourite item is a shirt with the writing "Devil out to kill sombody". Haha.. Yea it is 'sombody' and not 'somebody'! I thought that would be a good opposite of my "I'm good boy" shirt. Haha.. Can wear on 2 different days.

Travelling-wise, I visited the Royal Palace, the Emerald Buddha, the Reclining Buddha, and the Temple of Dawn. Not really exciting pieces of the past of my favourite I have to say. The nice things to be captured in photos were in camera-free areas. So yeah cannot really share it. :( Some interesting facts: 1) The Emerald Buddha has 3 different attires, each for rainy, sunny, and cold season. 2) The Reclining Buddha is really gigantic! 3) The stairs at Temple of Dawn are crazily steep! The only thing worth remembering from going there was the thrill of climbing up and down the steep stairs. I did not really enjoy my photo-modelling sessions there as my photographers sucked. Lol.. I had to give instruction until I fed up and gave up of posing already.

Okay... I guess that's all. It gets quite long already. Haha... Oh 1 last thing is that the food serving is so small. No wonder the people are very thin. Yes, I am envious! While on the topic of food, I want to share about my experience of eating 'spicy chicken rice' at KFC. Local stuff I guess. I looked normal but the spiciness really made me cry T_T. Crazy. The roadside culinary looked good but I did not dare to try them although I was prepared with diarrhea medication.

Because of this Bangkok trip, I changed my phone number. Got the link? No! Haha... While I was bored waiting at the airport before going to Bangkok, I went to M1 shop at T3. Lol. They had an offer of K660i for $0. As my dad was in need of phone, I sacrificed lor. I was excited initially due to wrong information that a salesgirl gave me. She said I could just change my prepaid no to be a postpaid. But when I came back the second time, another person told me it was not possible. I loved my old number! I got my new number for $32.10. Haha... Got a 90408328 (which differed from my old number by 1 digit only!) but since it was difficult to memorise, I got a xx228328. If only I could get something with 428328 in the tail. Well.. It's alright!

No comments: