Tuesday, June 28, 2022

Bali Trip Day 4: Ubud (mostly staying in the resort)

Before describing what I did today, let me describe about this resort first. This Sankara Resort is few levels above the previous resort I stayed in Bintan few years ago or in Kuta few days ago. I would say this was my first time experiencing a true resort atmosphere. From the location, the front desk, as well as the environment and decoration from the reception until the room, everything just screams Ubud. There is even paddy field between the rooms in the front side of the resort and the rooms at the back. It is just not for show since there are farmers working on the field. It really felt like being away from the modern world and reality.

We stayed in Deluxe Pool Villa so that we had a private pool. They are not playing with the word 'villa' because the unit feels like a villa within the resort. It is not a room but is more of a house. The entrance even feels like gate minus the actual gate. Unfortunately, the private pool is in the front instead of the back side of the room which means that passersby as well as guests at opposite rooms can see. As if people wanted to see but I could not help to feel self-conscious considering I am fat and I cannot swim.

The room and the toilet are very spacious. The crazy thing, however, is that there is no freaking door to the toilet. The bathtub and the shower are actually visible from the room itself, lets say when someone is on the bed or from the mirror at the table. The bathtub is just next to this gigantic window panel with some view of the greeneries. Although it is a nice atmosphere, this is facing the outside so it is crazy to soak with the window blind up and risking people seeing from outside. Thank goodness the toilet bowl is further in and is next to cupboard. Leaving the cupboard door open gives a bit more privacy.

Further inside just next to the toilet bowl and separated by a glass wall and door is the outdoor shower area which I would say is badly designed. I expect people will usually use the outdoor shower after they swim. If we are going to that here, we will already wet the bathtub, dressing area and the toilet bowl just to reach the outdoor shower. Worse, there is nowhere to put clothes or soap in the outdoor shower area. Anyway I showered here the day before, not because I wanted to experience outdoor showering, but because I did not want my sister to be uncomfortable if I was using the shower inside. I showered before her and when she was soaking in the bathtub, I hid myself under the blanket like a fool.

Okay enough about the room. Ultimately the main reason that my sister chose this place was because of the free floating breakfast. After experiencing it, I think it is something nice only for photo op because the eating part is very troublesome: gotta make sure the floater does not sink, gotta make sure not dropping things and dirty the pool. The swimming pool is deeper than at the Kuta resort. Although I still could reach the bottom by tiptoe-ing, I could not breathe normally. Surprisingly I found myself able to swim better. Not sure because I was forced to swim since my feet could not touch the bottom or because my practice in the past 2 days paid off. Lol. There are 2 wall water fountains which were not switched on. I thought we got a room with spoilt fountains. I asked the staff who packed up the breakfast about it and it seemed that they were deliberately switched off because of our floating breakfast. Otherwise, everything would just be wet.

My sister booked a Grab to visit one of her Instagram cafe at Ubud Center and we had our lunch there. After that we returned to the resort since she wanted to do spa while I just spent the rest of the day sleeping. I was too tired the day before to take night photos at the swimming pool. I was unlucky because when I wanted to do that in the evening, it rained heavily. Sigh.. Oh well, we just left for dinner at the hotel restaurant which was our plan all along. My unlucky strike continued since the satay set which I was aiming for since morning was not available. Huhuhu... The rain did not stop even after dinner which meant it was really a goodbye to night photo at this swimming pool.

No comments: