Friday, August 31, 2018

Farewell -part 1-

In case you are wondering why there is a 'part 1' to a farewell, it is because I stupidly agreed to extend another 1 week to help out. Otherwise today would be my final working day. Nonetheless, I am still very happy today since I finally managed to step down as I insisted that my successor should officially be the manager from tomorrow, instead of until after I leave. So yes, no more settling stupid people faking their MC or fighting for leave or fighting over any lame things at that you can think of.

So far I already had 5 farewell dinners. The first one was with my team from work last week. I was quite upset because initially I thought it would just only be with the pharmacists. Apparently some staff knew about it and wanted to join so in the end my colleague opened it up to the team. I am going to sound like an ass but honestly at this point of time, I cannot give a damn to the people whom do not deserve a damn from me. I have had enough of the faking my attempt to coach them etc so I am quite irritated having to have farewell with them. I don't care about being popular and I just want to have a nice farewell with the people that I actually care. I even told my colleagues: DO NOT give me any farewell gifts because I am not going to accept anything from the people who have been giving me shit for the past year.

Obviously there are some shit people who were not invited. Well at this point of time I don't care about them. They should know I don't like them haha. But more importantly they should know that I did not ask people to have a farewell dinner (my own farewell dinner somemore.. crazy..). People actually asked if they could join or if they can have a farewell dinner with me. So ya if these trouble makers feel offended for not being invited, it is their own problem. Someone brought Nintendo Switch so I finally got to try hands-on playing it. Sadly she only brought 1 game: Overcooked. It was nice playing a cooperative game although it was not as fun as competitive game. Lol. I prefer Mario Kart or something haha. Maybe a cooperative game will be more fun if there are more than 2 people. I still had fun although my main grip is the screen. Too small sia.

I usually crave for western food so when people ask me for suggestions, I will usually choose a western food that I have not tried before. Hence I chose Morganfield's for my second dinner. I usually avoid things with bones because I do not want to dirty my fingers but I can eat ribs with fork and knife so there was no problem. Initially we wanted to go to Vivocity branch. However after knowing that there is a branch at Orchard Central, I suggested to change location. I only knew about it as we passed by the place on the way to Tsukiji Fish Market for the first farewell dinner. Anyway the Tsukiji Fish Market is not a place that I recommend. The food is so so and the service is terribly slow.

We over-ordered at Morganfield's. Lol. There were only 3 of us (with ex-colleague who became ex-manager a few years ago and with the colleague sitting next to me at office) and we ordered a platter for 2-3 people plus 1 normal single menu. See lah see lah. Lucky the food was good and the service was decent so it was overall not too bad.

My 3rd farewell dinner was with my ex-polytechnic students. These 2 are special and having students like them is a good reason why I always like teaching. Their attachment ended 4 years ago but after that we reunited at the same work place for another 2 occasions. After graduation, they did part-time for awhile. Then the girl joined as a staff while the boy went army. Last month the boy helped out as part-time during his university break and that was our 2nd reunion after their student attachment days. I wanted to treat them so I chose atas place at Ce La Vi, MBS. Few years ago my cousin invited me to eat there and I craved for foie gras. There is Ce La Vi restaurant and there is Ce La Vi skybar and I cannot remember last time I was where. I checked the menu and there was no foie gras but since I was already running out of idea of where to eat, I just stuck with Ce La Vi. Anyway mere mortals like us were not suited to this kind of atas place. We did not even know what food from the names and descriptions and we settled on safe options like steak and sushi. Oops.

The 4th dinner was with the doctor and nurse from my clinic who are in the LSI core team. It is a coincidence that half of the core team comes from one clinic when there were 9 (subsequently 10) clinics when the team was formed. The original plan was to eat at Larder Cafe. We did not do booking because we thought we were going at safe time: 6pm immediately after work. We were wrong as when we reached, the indoor tables were all full with people already eating. Wow! There were outdoor tables but I did not want to eat without aircon in this kind of weather. I ran out of idea so I conveniently chose Crystal Jade. As long as there were seats and aircon, I was fine.

We tried so hard not to over order food. We did not order any rice or noodle which was meant for 1 person to eat. We only ordered one fried rice for sharing and the rest was sharing dishes. We still ended up very full. Walawe.. I think really cannot run away from aging la. We just cannot eat as much as our younger days. One regret I have is that we forgot to take a photo for this farewell. T_T sob sob

Tonight's dinner was the 5th farewell dinner and it was with the other members of my LSI core team at So Pho, Novena. I have been ordering So Pho for stock take dinner in the past 2-3 years but this was the first time eating So Pho at the restaurant. They have some soft shell crab seasonal menu so it was nice not to repeat the same thing that I usually ordered for stock take. Haha. I thought it was quite touching that the team wanted to have a farewell with me. We only meet once a month and our project is quite chill and not so much hard work/meeting/discussion. Yet we are all nice chill people and that is how we enjoy working together.

There is one more farewell lunch next week so I shall reserve my feelings until that one.

No comments: