Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Ungrateful, not unlucky

Another week is gonna be over and 2 weeks remaining of my holidays =x Sad.. emo.. but life must go on.. I just spoke to an aunt and she thinks my life has been so smooth sailing. Thank God for that. All her 3 daughters were sent overseas and none of them is as blessed as I am. Of course she only knew about my pay. I was quite surprised to know that one of her daughter, who is a lawyer in Australia, is earning less than me. Of course it is a human nature to simply compare and say that the grass is greener at the other side. But to be brutally honest, I agree that I have been very blessed and very lucky, to realise that this time, my side is greener.

I often (or is it always?) complain about being emo, sian, fuck my life, etc. Nothing is perfect, including life. And I always want a perfect life: good money, nobody scold me in work place, good work life balance, stay with my family, own a house, own a car, etc. That's the root of my ungratefulness :( It's really a problem of priority. If family and house are top priorities for me, I guess I have to be prepared to forgo the money and safety that Singapore offers me. Of which, I am unwilling to give up any.

The event that happened in Indonesia last year only magnifies how lucky I am to be in Singapore. While Singapore itself is not perfect (MRT breakdowns, social unhappiness with foreigners, etc), none of it compares with all the anarchism and crazy demonstration seen last week here. I was worried that it would be a repeat of 1998 riot which, thank God, did not happen. Fiuuuh... But again, it may be a matter of perspective. When I heard the news that the demonstrators managed to broke down the gates of parliament building, I thought it was crazy. When I told this to my sister, her reply was "Oh nothing new. The parliament gates have been breached many many times". o_0

Anyway, it was quite interesting to see the parliament session regarding the fuel hike. It was a big joke! It is unbelievable that the people there can act so.. animalistic. With the session being telecasted live in the television, it just highlights how pathetic our members of parliament are. It is a shame! Really! It is quite similar with the demonstrators, especially those from universities, who are supposed to be better educated but shows none of their educatedness. I don't read economics or politics so I am not the best person to give opinion about this. But nobody likes price increase. Rampant corruption only aggravates matters since any kind of savings are deemed to be potentially corrupted. But I think the citizens should also think about the nation. What if, because of no increase, the country collapses due to all the foreign debts? I shall leave my comments there since I don't really work of live here to understand the implications of all these things on normal daily livings.

I guess I gotta remember these things and repeat them to myself so that I don't grumble for the good life that I have.

No comments: