Monday, August 24, 2009

EXPerience is EXPensive

Let me share my very first experience in helping out in a sports event. Haha.. My senior asked me to join as a helper for this event called Legs and Paddles. She enticed me with the good shirt and good goodie bags. Even though I joined mainly because I thought it was good to try experiencing something I never tried before, the "good shirt and goodie bags" boosted my interest level to maximum. Lol! Saturday was the briefing day and yesterday was the event day. My senior shocked me when she said the event would be held next week.

On saturday we found out of our duty. We were in charged of water point! Damn slack haha.. On top of that, we got the water point in the main area! Lol.. Therefore we did not need to walk the 5km route in the middle of the day to see where we would be doing our job on the event day. Haha.. So even though it was quite dumb to waste the Saturday like that, I have nothing to complain.. at least I was spared of the walk.

I had a lousy start of the day on Sunday. It was drizzling.. and the first bus only reached my bus stop at 612 (I reached the bus stop at 545). Since I am a good boy and wanted to come punctually at 640, I decided to take a cab until Harbour Front followed by MRT to Dhoby Ghaut and finally taking 16. "Luckily" a taxi came. Unfortunately, the driver only heard "Harbour Front" and missed out the MRT.. He overshot and I had to stop at a bus stop in a dark scary path (I think I walked past a cemetery) to walk back to the mrt station. There goes my $10 cab fare. And ooh la la.. the first train started at 620. Fantastic.. So lesson of the day #1: buses and trains start damn late on Sunday!

Thank goodness there was 65 which went to Orchard and I could continue on with 16. Surprisingly, I was not very late and I was the second person to arrive haha.. The first one was my senior because she cabbed all the way thanks to oversleeping up to 610. Lol.. and on the day before, she was insisting on meeting at Kallang MRT at 615! Wakaka.. Lesson #2: taking 65 from Harbour Front allows me to reach Orchard faster than taking the train. Haha.. I only know this after 2 years.. OMG! Haha..

Water point job was really donkey job lol.. In the morning, I rode on a pick-up to drop stuff to the station under the bridge. Hoho.. It was quite cool and very windy sitting behind. Lol.. Nice.. After that, I was supposed to help out in any other areas which lacked in people.. Just because nobody was drinking so there was no need to man the point. Lol.. Firstly, we had to help out carrying canoe (damn heavy!) and the paddles. Secondly, I was sent to replace the guy at the U-turn of the running route. OMG.. I was given no map whatsoever.. The u-turn was about the mid-point of the route so basically I did my 2km or morning run. Jeez... What pissed me off was: the guy whom I replaced was getting a picked up to return to the main area. Wtf.. I should be sent by the lorry to the place while picking that guy up! -_- In the morning it was quite dumb.. I think after I arrived, I only saw about 6 runners. Gosh.. But still not too bad for me.. at least there was another marshall a few steps from me.. So it was not that boring. One person shared about runNUS event.. and her sharing made me wonder whether I should go next saturday.. Haha.. I guess this event has given me the experience lol.. no need to have more :p

Lunch time came.. and food came damn late.. and the food was damn sucky since I hate chicken rice. Lol.. another 2km walk because I wanted to get more water and to get my valuables from the main area. Then we returned to the bridge water point where we were supposed to have our lunch.. Lunch came like 45 mins after we arrived and 10mins before the next event started -_- Rain came.. The good thing: we had extended lunch break.. The bad thing: the event was postponed. Haha.. But okay la.. at least the people there could talk and surprisingly we all hate ragging wakaka... And I learn few secrets from other rags ohohoho...

Work resumed.. This time there were a lot of runners haha.. I felt a bit grossed out. I gave out stickers to them and in return, I received their sweat, germs, and Kallang River water.. My right palm must be very contaminated haha.. Some people said thanks so it was not too bad. One interesting thing was there were few occasions that the runners expected me to stick the sticker on them. o_0 cannot imagine touching those wet shirt yucks yucks lol...

It was starting to rain when the event was going to end. So?? Ran again to the main area T_T and that summed up the day.. I do not want to count how far I walked and ran yesterday lah.. Haha.. Though I learnt another lesson: actually my stamina was not that bad despite have not run at all for the past 3 years of my life. Lols.. The day was over with a biig disappointment over the goodie bag.. Haha.. The only valuable thing was Men's Health (worth $6) haha.. the shirt is also not every good de.. Lol...

The aftermath: I was dead tired.. I decided to rest from 2100 to 2230.. But I did not hear my alarm AT ALL. I woke up at 330.. My phone was charging overnight. Haiz.. The batt is already lousy now it is gonna be worse I think :'( Anyways, I woke up with an aching left arm.. It has got to do with the carrying of the kayak.. My left hip is also a bit painful if I press.. The kayak has dislocated my fats perhaps LOL! However, my legs did not feel any exhaustion. Weird eh.. Despite the exhaustion, I am sincerely surprised that I was not sleepy during classes today. Perhaps it is really true that exercise improves blood circulation, concentration, etc etc.. I should exercise more!

No comments: