Sunday, May 12, 2019

Megane Ichiba x Digimon Adventure Tri spectacles (DGM-06RLB)

After getting and being happy with Takeru/Patamon version of Megane Ichiba x Digimon Adventure Tri spectacles, I succumbed to temptation to also get Joe/Gomamon version. Takeru/Patamon was a Christmas present while Joe/Gomamon was birthday present, especially since it was just nice that I went to Japan and I opted for collection from Lawson.

One interesting fact to highlight is they use 'reliability' which is the English translation of Joe's digicrest. In the Japanese version, Joe's digicrest should be 'sincerity'. It is confusing because of Mimi's digicrest which is 'purity' in Japanese version but is translated to 'sincerity' in English translation.

The details of the spectacles can be found here and I shall only share the photos of the actual item.
The wipe
The print is slanted -_-"
The design for the spectacle case (both external and internal) is the same for all variants of the spectacles
Surprisingly the design is nothing like the spectacles that Joe wears in any of the versions of the anime
The circle is based on Vikemon's shoulder guard and the four linked squares are based on Vikemon's Mjolnir chain (the Mjolnir in Tri design)
Gomamon's colour scheme :D Strangely this design is only on the right temple but not on the left :(
Symbol of Digicrest of Reliability
The original display lens
The website states that this frame style is wellington. To me it looks like a bigger square frame so I do not really understand how wellington frame differ from square frame.
Side-by-side comparison with Takeru/Patamon design
If you ask me which one I prefer, I will say I like both. That is the reason I bought both. Although in terms of unique-ness, Takeru/Patamon design has the winning edge with less mainstream colour and I like the additional "wing-like" feel from how the temples are connected to the lens.

According to the information that I read in the top Digimon forum, the spectacles that Joe wears at the end of Digimon tri movie 6 is based on this.
Joe's spectacles here is definitely different from the one he wears previously and in the tri promotional materials (which has no frame for the upper half of the lens). 
Enough of digimon and it is time to think through about Prince of Tennis spectacles. Haha...

NB: Post is tagged as 'Toys' for ease of retrieval in the future if needed.

No comments: