Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Megane Ichiba x Digimon Adventure Tri spectacles (DGM-07HOPE)

The last time I bought spectacles was in 2014 and they are still in excellent condition. The experimentation with PC lens is not as successful as I enjoy wearing them only at work. I find it helpful when having to focus on computer work at work but I find it more tiring when I am looking at my laptop or phone for leisure. The PC lens also looks quite ugly in photos as they reflect light. Thus for daily activities, I am still wearing my oldest pair which unfortunately I had accidentally slept over it and the temples are bent. Just a reminder that temples are the long part of the frame that rests on the temples and hooks to the ears. As part of aging, some the plastic part of the temples have crumbled. The combination of the bending of the temples and sharp edges from the crumbled plastic part actually hurts my right temple. Perhaps add the fact that I am getting fatter also. Therefore the time is right to get a new pair and the resistant to buy when coming across the Digimon spectacles is lowered.

Having said that, although I am crazy about anime stuff, I am not crazy enough to buy wearables if I do not plan to wear it. It was difficult to decide without seeing the physical products or trying them so I admit that I did take a risk. 3 designs (Yamato, Joe, and Takeru's) caught my interest for different reasons: Yamato's colour seems to be the most practical and less embarrassing to wear, Joe's because Gomamon is my favourite digimon, but in the end I bought Takeru's for having the smallest lens size among the three. I prefer smaller lens so without trying, I cannot imagine if these big lenses fit my face and I chose to be safe. I was worried if the orange colour will be too bright but I decided that since I like to wear green, the worst thing that can happen is I will look like kid Takeru. Haha.. Learning from my previous experience with PC lens, I choose normal lens without any gimmick for this as I plan to have this as my daily spectacles.

I am so happy that I received the spectacles on the Christmas Eve and this is the Christmas present that I am most eager to wait. I am even happier with the quality. The fit for the eyes is perfect and I do not feel any giddiness or discomfort. The spectacles is very light and is comfortable to wear. The lenses are thinner than the ones I have from Owndays. The best surprise is it is not as orange as it looks in the website and hence it will not be too anime-like to wear.

I am glad to choose this as I think the lens is too wide. I am finding it weird now but maybe I will get used to how I look since this is my very first time I wear this type of lens. I think they should have made the lens smaller because real life humans do not have eyes as big as anime characters whose eyes can easily be 1/2 or 1/3 of their faces. However, the frame has lighter shade of colour at the bottom part of the lens so that helps not to accentuate the size.

I am not going to write on the details as they can be found here but I will post photos of the real item. Hehe..
Everything that I received
The wipe: I prefer if they use the Tri version like in the website leh
The website says the design is based on Digivice but I don't really pay attention to Digivice. I am not too pleased with the material of the case though.
Digimon Adventure Tri engraving inside the case. Pretty sure the butterflies are reference to the most iconic Digimon song (Butter-fly) and 8 butterflies to represent the 8 digidestined.
Looks more like brown than orange
The golden triangle is based on the plate on Angemon's thigh/knee.
Blue-transparent colour scheme is based on Angemon's colour scheme. The 'thingy' at the end of the temples is based on the engraving on Seraphimon's waist plate.
Symbol of Digicrest of Hope
The shop still gave me the original display lens
I can guess the blue-transparent reference to Angemon but I have to google about Angemon's golden triangle and Seraphimon's waist plate as they are not something so noticeable in the series. With the anime elements so subtle, I think these spectacles are designed for people to seriously wear it and not for playthings of the anime fans. The price is not cheap too as it is similar to my Owndays spectacles. The domestic shipping is free so in total this cost me 16200 yen (price) + 786 yen (proxy service fee) + 180 yen (bank transfer free) + 1400 yen (I chose EMS so that I could get it before Christmas).

Special mention to Goody Japan (my proxy) for helping to get this. I know ordering spectacles with a degree from online is not something that people normally do but I managed to persuade them to agree to help me after I sent them the screenshot of the website after I put the degrees and they could just copy that image.

NB: I tag this post as 'Toys' just for my ease of searching in case I need to refer to this again in the future.

No comments: