Thursday, February 14, 2019

FF8, Aladdin, Frozen 2

It is Valentine's Day today but nope, I am not going to write about Valentine's Day. I am actually very tired since I have been sleeping late and waking up early for the past 2 days. However I am suddenly energised to write this random post about the things that make me happy in life. Lol.

Firstly my favourite childhood game,  Final Fantasy 8, is 20 years old this year. FF8 was released on 11 February 1999 in Japan. Since I played the English version, technically the game is not 20 years old for me yet since the English version was out on 9 September 1999. The nostalgia made me revisit some FF8 videos and wow regardless how underrated the game is, no doubt that the graphics for the CGI scenes still looks amazing even by 2019 standard. The music that accompanies some of the CGI scenes (my favourites are the ending, the dancing scene, and the opening) is another testimony how well made the game is, at least cinematically. 
When a favourite childhood game reaches 20 years old, it is time to bid farewell to my childhood as well. Sob sob.. It is highly unlikely that FF8 will get a remaster or a remake but one good thing about that will be: FF8 will always be part of my childhood nostalgia. 20 years later and I still have not found my Quistis. Haha.. Although one thing that surprised me when I watched these videos was now I find Rinoa to be cuter than Quistis.

Let's jump to Disney now. Disney is on steroids for 2019 with so many anticipated movies be it the live action version of their classics, animated cartoons, and Marvel movies. Frozen 2 is coming out this fall and I just saw the trailer which is wow.. AMAZING. The trailer gives me a vibe that this is a superhero movie instead of a princess movie. The music accompanying the trailer is also bad ass. And yes, Elsa can beat Moana any day. Haha.. That is the first thing that came to my mind when watching the opening scene.
This trailer is an epitome of a great movie trailer. It looks so exciting and tantalising without giving away too much on the plot and without any single word being spoken. I really hope that the final movie will be as exciting, if not even more exciting, than this though I doubt there will be a song that can beat Let It Go.

Frozen 2 trailer brought me to a new trailer for Aladdin live action which was actually released even earlier than Frozen 2 trailer. There is so much negativity towards Aladdin live action and the only exciting thing from the first trailer is the music. As biased as I want to be since Aladdin is my favourite Disney's animation from the 90s, I just have to give up hope and accept that this live action is gonna suck. Just like the first trailer, the only amazing thing from the second trailer is the music. The rest is huge disappointment. Jafar and Aladdin really fail to show the personalities of their animation counter parts. There is nothing scary, evil, or cynical with this live action Jafar while Aladdin looks so expressionless throughout. Come on, who rubs Magic Lamp in such a boring manner? Will Smith's Genie receives the most flak even before this trailer but honestly after seeing this trailer, I find Genie to be the best so far. And yes he is blue! Not to mention the atrocity of the CGI for Abu, the Cave of Wonder scene, and when Genie comes out from the lamp. Lucky that Magic Carpet and Rajah look pretty good.
I am sad for Aladdin. The original animation is considered quite underrated since it features a guy, instead of a princess, as main character and the live action could have been a hope to make Aladdin relevant. I guess that is not happening.

No comments: