Saturday, December 22, 2018

Twenty thousand

Few months ago when I did not have the time to write anything about my life, my life was shit. Now the same thing happens but for a completely different reason as I am enjoying my life now. That's why I have been posting about the movies, anime, etc. So now I am going to write about what has been going on with my life.

It has been 3 months in my new job and I still have nothing to complain about. No doubt at times boredom starts to kick in for doing the same thing everyday but that is the nature of working life. While physically is the same everyday, I am still being stimulated mentally everyday. With different drugs, different journal papers, and different information, there is simply no opportunity to do the work in auto pilot mode.

I did not know why HR was in the rush to clear the paperwork for the end of the year but my confirmation appraisal was done after only 2 months and I am officially a confirmed staff effective from 1 Dec. That allows me to receive a pro-rated 13 month. Hehe.. The amount may not be much but it is a nice surprise to receive something unexpected. The increment cycle in this company is in January and I may still get an increment depending on my boss. Lol. I am not expecting but let's see if I get another surprise.

That brings upon realisation about money matters. After taking into consideration the pay cut due to less working hours, no more leadership allowance, less leave days, as well as definitely lower bonuses, I am looking at $20k less annual income. That is the cost of work life balance, freedom to be myself at work, mental health, and sanity. Am I willing to accept that? Surprisingly the answer is yes. Perhaps indeed at this point of time, my life priority is not all about money.

I am enjoying my regular life now as there is no more shift changes. Sometimes I feel a bit more stressed if I come past 9 am. I need to learn to chill since there is no really official timing here as long as I work 8 hours a day. The stress comes from my own expectations to try to reach by 9 am. I feel much relaxed after work. Previously I always felt in a rush and even when walking from bus stop to home, usually I would be sweating like mad. No more such things now.

I think I hurt my back so I suspended my gym for a month. Since 2 weeks ago, I am back to gym but now I am more careful and I try to alternate my sessions. Recently there is discomfort again (although not pain until like last time) and I am really unsure if it is because an injury or it is because I am desk bound. Sigh :(

I also have more chance to go to Orchard Road. In the past month, I had gone on some weekday evenings (and on different days as well) and I finally conclude and give up to will ever have pictures of the Disney decorations without the crowd. Haha.. Combined with Saturdays and Sundays, I think the total number of times I went Orchard Road in the past 3 months is more than the previous months of the year. I even saw Joseph Schooling once last month after my lunch. Not sure what he was doing at MBC but some people were waiting for him as he appeared from the carpark and he entertained photos. From his body language with the strangers, I think he is a great guy. My hair was shit then otherwise I would also thicken my skin to take a photo with him la. Olympic champion leh!

Company culture has been quite chill and non-toxic so far. For example, the eves of Christmas and New Year are made official half days and if people want to take leave, they can take as half instead of a full day. Wow.. so sad I am not taking leave this year. We also had a Christmas lunch celebration and on that day, we only worked until 1030 am before going for the lunch and there was no need to return to the office. Haha.. My team went for karaoke after that and even my boss' boss joined us. These are unimaginable things in my previous job.

This morning I went to my old workplace to say farewell to my ex-staff who is retiring at the end of this year. The trip made me very sure that I made a decision I did not regret. Just imagine, I already felt all the negative emotions right from the bus ride. The bus was empty and I could not understand how some people would still want to shove their ways etc. I had to deal with these kind of people everyday last time.

After catching up with ex-colleagues from other departments and sharing about my new work, I realise how blessed I am with a much more balanced life today. Just imagine, if I have to find something to complain about my new job, the biggest challenge I find is simply ergonomics and sleepiness from sitting down too long. Hahaha.. They are so trivial compared to my previous long laundry list of daily complaints. I am not interested and do not bother to be a busybody to ask how things are after I left. I asked an innocent question "How are you?" (notice it is not "How is work now?") and I saw my ex-colleagues' literally sank. No exchange of words was necessary and I knew what they meant. Haha a part of me actually felt quite relieved because now I know that at least I did not make their life so miserable as their manager last time. Lol.

With that visit, I am sure that I am happier now and I am glad I made the decision to leave the toxic comfort zone for a better life. For the minority of people who supported me in making the crazy decision a few months back, I would like to say thank you. In return, I can only share my testimony that money cannot buy quality of life, mental health, and sanity. Please do not be a slave of money if you find your job sucks and affects your life. It is not worth. The question is: how much do you value your own life and happiness? For me, I know they are worth even higher than $20k a year.

No comments: