Monday, June 4, 2018

End of holiday & Virgin Business Class experience

To mark the end of holiday, I will combine the post of my virgin experience travelling in Business Class. It should have been First Class but due to the unfortunate equipment change, I ended up with only Business Class. The consolation prize is that the flight was changed to the latest B787-10 plane (which unfortunately does not have First Class) and I got to experience the latest Business Class seat... as if I had experience the old one lol. Before I start, pardon my ungratefulness and for complaining of "first world problems".

Singapore-Tokyo SQ 638 (25 May)
There was a time when the queue for economy was too long and I was diverted to the Business Class lanes which at Changi Airport are located at totally different check in rows. That time the Business Class lanes were quite empty. Now when I had Business Class, the Business Class lanes were pretty crowded with each counter had about 3 people in the queue.

That did not dampen my excitement for the access to the SilverKris Lounge that comes with Business Class ticket. I was too excited until I forgot about my mobile wifi rental. Lol. The lounge was great but it was way too crowded. Yes.. I know it is another first world problem. I am used to the free lounges that come with credit cards and those lounges usually have sucky food options but relaxing and quiet. SilverKris Lounge was so busy like a food court but at least in the end I still managed to get a seat. The food options are quite varied although they are not food that I enjoy. Curry.. Laksa.. I do not want to risk diarrhea for my travelling. I also don't eat things with bones. But definitely the food options and drinks are better than those "free" lounges.

The experience of turning left to enter the plane was so exciting. When I was sitting at the chair for the first time, I felt so restless and could not stop grinning like a kid being excited for something for the first time. I was not familiar with the things, compartments, and various buttons which are usually non-existent in Economy. Too bad I was too shy to ask the cabin crew to help taking a picture even though I entered the plane quite early and the Business Class section was still empty.
That's all I have as a memento of this experience :(
After the plane took off and reclining was allowed, I realised that my seat was broken T_T Whut...!!! As it was a midnight flight, the cabin light was already darkened and there I was standing for about 20 minutes in the dark while watching 2 ladies crouching and bending down to manouver and try fixing my seat. Gosh.. where were the stewards? In the end, the seat was declared official spoilt. Oh well. what to do? I would just have to enjoy the rest of the flight and thinking of how to send a complaint for compensation later on.

Few minutes later, I was asked to switch seat as there was a staff travelling. I initially refused because I could emphatise with that staff. However, the air stewardess insisted as this was part of their service and responsibility to give up a staff's seat when things like this happened. The new seat was still a window seat but I preferred my 12A with the seat next to the window. The new seat has the seat next to the aisle. Honestly after standing for 20 minutes my sleepiness sort of disappeared and with the traffic along the aisle, I had difficulty sleeping. I could not get myself comfortable: it was warm with blanket but when my body came into contact with the frame of the seat, it was cold. In the end, I only managed to sleep for about 2 hours.

I chose to have my meals as breakfast and I was excited for the famed Lobster Thermidor. Despite the simplistic appearance, it was tasty. I liked it and I enjoyed it. That is a huge compliment from someone so picky about food and usually do not eat things that require peeling. Oh ya, despite the small look, it actually made me full. I also tried the free wifi on board for a short while. I could post a picture on facebook so the wifi is not that bad la. Haha.. I spent the rest of the flight watching Coco which was suprisingly great. I did not manage watching till the end.
Breakfast on air~~
On the ground, I could not find my luggage at the carousel while my sister's one was already out and she was travelling in Economy. Surprise surprise.. my luggage was actually already placed on the floor and was ready for collection. Hehe.. first time so I did not know would have such service mah.

So that is all for my first time experiencing Business Class. Despite the hiccup, the 1-2 hours of sleep on a full-flat seat (aka bed) made a huge difference from sleeping in a seating position. I felt much more refreshed and less tired on the day. I suppose the great lobster also helped. I did write a feedback because how can a seat in a new plane was already spoilt etc. I basically got 5000 miles as service recovery. Oh well.. better than nothing.

Tokyo-Singapore SQ 637 (4 June)
This was my first time leaving Tokyo from Narita (previously my return flights were always from Haneda) and I learnt to buy a return Airport Limousine bus next time as it would save 1000yen+ compared to buying 2 tickets separately.

Because of Business Class ticket, I decided to heck care and bring home the Disneyland umbrella. Each passenger was allowed to put 2 pieces of luggage in the bus storage so I had to carry 2 small bags + umbrella + backpack up to the bus. Lucky the bus was not full and I could put my barang-barang on the seat next to me.

The check-in at Narita was amazing and much better than what I experienced in Singapore. My sister was in Economy but she was allowed to check in together with me at the Business Class lane. Staff also helped with her check-in luggage. That was amazing because even I did not get that kind of treatment at Business Class check in in Singapore.

I got ANA lounge access and there were a few in the airport. We did some last minute shopping (as always!) and the ANA lounge staff was very kind to inform me that there was another lounge nearer to my gate and asked if I would like to go to that lounge instead. Wow of course!! Haha.. I enjoyed ANA lounge better than SilverKris lounge. There was crowd but it was not to the point of difficult in finding seats. To be fair, perhaps because it was a morning flight vs midnight flight at SilverKris lounge. I enjoyed the food more as they were things that I would eat (e.g sandwiches, pastries, sushi, etc). I would not compare with SilverKris lounge's offerings because some people may prefer "heavier" food options there.

I decided to be thick-skin this time and I asked cabin crew to help me take picture in the Business Class seat. Haha.. He was also nice to offer if I would need some orientation with the new seat. If only I was offered that during the flight last week, it would be much more appreciated. Guess what? I was having problem again with my seat T_T The air steward managed to get my seat into full-flat position so no more 5000 miles for service recovery. Lol. I would not mind not lying down for this flight as I decided to watch movies.

I continued watching Coco and towards the ending, it got really touching and I was holding my tears. It was so embarrassing when a stewardess happened to walk pass and asked me if everything was okay. Lol. I continued with Call Me by Your Name which I tried watching in my flight to Jakarta in April but because of the glare from the screen during that flight, I had no idea what was going on. Honestly I felt quite uncomfortable watching as there were some male x male scenes and I was concerned when people were walking pass my seat. Lol.

Lastly, I decided to watch Star Wars: The Last Jedi and now I sort of understand why so much dislike towards this. I kinda liked Star Wars: The Force Awakens (which I also watched on a plane a few years ago) but The Last Jedi made me regret and I could have spent the time watching something else. There were emotional and desperate moments which unfortunately were turned into anti-climaxes because of the Jedi power. I was actually shocked and saddened when Leia died but that moment was turned into confusion when somehow she was able to survive using her Jedi power. Luke's grand entrance and his fight in the end were emotional and touching and this too was turned disappointing when he was only projecting himself and eventually he died just like that. Thank goodness I am never a Star Wars fan to begin with.

The Book-The-Cook option from Tokyo does not feature lobster so I chose Beef Curry which I have to say: disappointing. It did not look appetizing, it looked small, there are better beef curry out there, and the standard meal that my neighbour had looked more tempting than this Beef Curry. Oh well.. I was not in an adventurous mood to try alcoholic drink so the only thing I ordered was a mix of pineapple juice with something.
Appetizer.. The left plate was for bread which was not served yet when I took this photo
I already finished the bread :p and yes this is the sad looking Beef Curry
In summary, the whole Business Class experience is not as WOW as what I imagined before. I thought it would be a waste to have it for the red eye flight since it is only for sleeping but I stand corrected. A nice and comfortable sleep for a red eye flight is better than watching in-flight entertainment. The day time flight is not as attentive as I expected and that was another reason why I did not really try more drinks. One obvious reason for me to prefer Business Class will be when my trip intention is to do shopping. That extra baggage allowance and having 1 overhead compartment to myself for my stuff is great and something I will not get in Economy.

Having said those and despite all the hoohah during the booking, I still prefer collecting miles than cashback for my credit cards. Hehe.. Yes it is to "buy" the experience since there is no way I will be spending 3000k+++ just for a flight using real cash. And I have yet to experience the First Class, Suites, and the Private Room. Haha..

No comments: