Monday, April 9, 2012

Unholy Easter

Money is the root of all evil. It is a saying which I'm sure many agree with. However, from my trip back to my dad's hometown over the Easter weekend, I think it should be changed to: Money is a root of all evil. Religion will be another root. Actually this is not surprising since Jesus has warned it 2000+ years ago about this that He will be the cause of fathers to go against the sons, mothers to go against the daughters, i.e fight in the family. Despite the close familial bonds, the topics of money and religion will still be able to cause discord.

I went to Pontianak on the Good Friday. And yes, it was a day for Catholics to fast! And in my attempt to be a good Catholic, I fasted. Not going church while I am in Indonesia is already bad enough so I should not forgo the fasting. So for people who are not fasting, then you bloody hell respect me for fasting! I did not even force you to eat vegetarians or what. I said "Go ahead and order whatever meat you want. I am fine but do not ask me to eat". It is damn irritating for my sister (who does not really practice any religion) to keep asking how long was I supposed to fast or an aunt (who is a Buddhist) to keep saying what's the point of doing this kind of thing only for a day and then behaving evil for the rest of the year. Hello.. I am sure even your religion has some restrictions and observations that you need to do and follow. Please respect that, especially when you know that another aunt and I are Catholics. It is irritating to keep hearing that what Buddha teaches you. I respect your faith and I respect if you keep it to yourself. Anyway I managed not to eat meat. Still I thought I compromised a bit with all the seafood etc. Bleah.. If I have the choice, I usually avoid any kind of meat for fasting. Well, that's my respect for the rest of you gluttons who cannot keep your stomach a bit empty just for a day.

My dad often chides me for being a selfish brat. Fine! I know being selfish is bad. But you know what is worse: selfishly forcing other people to listen to you and do what you say! Jeez.. I know it is a part of my dad's upbringing. His whole family is like that and this behaviour is always been the source of conflicts between my grandmother and all of her kids. Too bad I am one generation younger so I should put a "respectful" face in front of my uncle and aunties. To be honest, I feel like screaming at them to shut up. It is fine being selfish and stubborn as long as it is only for YOURSELF! It is human nature wanting to be free, not being control. When someone selfish and stubborn try to control others who are also selfish and stubborn, arguments will ensue. And that is what always happens. This will just be another reason why I hate going back to Pontianak.

Anyway I didn't do much there except for eating. For someone who is already fat, I don't enjoy food that much. And certainly, I am not the one who will travel miles and queue hours for "good" food. So that is not a good reason to make me happy there. One rare thing that I did over there was karaoke-ing o_0 Haha.. I suck in singing and that's it. But I guess it was not bad that I actually sang 3 songs (Stop - Spice Girls, Tong Hua - Guang Liang, and My Love - West Love). Paiseh paiseh..

So yup, that summarises my sad Easter weekend. Nothing holy at all at the supposedly holiest time of the year for us Catholics.

No comments: