Saturday, October 1, 2011

Feast Days


I was too tired for the past 2 days to do my daily readings. I only had the time today and I forgot that 29th September is the feast day of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel, and Raphael. More significanly for me, yesterday (30th September) is the feast day of the patron saint of my choice! Ouch.. Sorry, Sir, I forgot about you :(

As I try to remember about him, I discovered his words below:
"If the apostles and martyrs, while still living on earth, could pray for other men, how much more may they do it after their victories? Have they less power now that they are with Jesus Christ?" 
 
I am amazed. And at the same time, I am proud of him. I know the variant of this quote which is usually used when Catholics and Protestants disagree about asking the dead to pray of us as well as to pray for the dead. It goes like "When we are alive, we ask our friends to pray for us and they ask us for our prayers. What different does it make when we ask our (dead) friends to pray for us or when we pray for our (dead) friends?". I am sorry to the Protestants out there but I think your thinking is just hypocritical. You argue that rather than pray to the saints, why not directly pray to God because after all He is the source of everything. My answer is: why do you ask your friends to pray for you when you are in need of God's help? You can directly pray to God, can't you?

For me personally, I will still honour the Saints and martyrs. They are nearer to God and with their holiness, God may find their prayer more preferable than mine. So please pray for me, Mother Mary, Saint Jerome, and all other Saints :) I, too, will pray but the more will be the merrier. Lol..

No comments: