Thursday, June 6, 2019

Bangkok Trip Day 2

Today is the last day of the trip and I did not manage to shop what I wanted to get. My dad insisted on showing us MBK center (MBK stands for Mahboonkrong) which turns out to be rather rubbish. Instead of the feel of Thai markets, MBK center feels more like Lucky Plaza to me. There are more shops run by South Asians instead of the Thais and most of the items are not the usual Thai souvenirs. Don't even think of finding 100 baht stuff here.

We went to Platinum Fashion Mall and it took almost 1.5 hours just to wait for Grab and the actual ride. Yes, that is how crazy the traffic was. Now this is the shopping that I love from Thailand. Sadly, being unprepared for a trip means not knowing that the mall closes at 8pm and the shops are already preparing to close from 715pm. Sigh.. We reached there only at 6pm and there was simply not enough time to shop :( I only bought one bucket hat. Before entering the shop and trying, my sister said it was cute. As I was about to pay, my sister said it made me look like Korean ahjumma. Oh well.. 250 baht for a souvenir and to pay for my curiosity to see if this hat will flatten my hair. Initially I wanted to get the one with rabbit design but the inside of the fabric has some marker writings. The other one with the same design had the rabbit less conspicuous (the design is actually based on Alice in the Wonderland) so I ended up with a green leaves design.

I finished my remaining THB at Big C to get a discounted Adidas sleeveless shirt (700 baht) and red singlet (495 baht) with Superman logo. I still prefer the green singlet and the Mickey muay thai that I saw at Asiatique yesterday :( They are not cheap too! I just don't want to bring and exchange back the THB so never mind.

What made me rather happy today was fast food. I tried salted egg chocolate drink (no joke!) from Cafe Amazon. I was expecting it to be quite weird but surprisingly the contrasting taste actually worked. In the morning, my sister and I saw the chicken skin at KFC. We went to KFC at Platinum Fashion Mall but there was no chicken skin. I ended up getting Pop Zeed which is essentially like popcorn chicken. It was supposed to have 21 pcs but I felt there were more than that. It was spicy but not in a stomach burning way like McD's spicy mcnuggets. Hahaha... We bought the chicken skin at KFC Big C (the chicken skin is only available at certain stores) and it was not up to my nostalgia standard. I closed the day with pork burger from McD.

I accompanied my sister to visit LINE Village in the morning. We spent about 2 hours there and I personally think 990 baht is quite expensive. As a comparison, it is slightly less than half of 1-day ticket to Tokyo Disneyland or Disneysea. No way the fun or value at LINE Village is even a quarter of Disneyland. I am also not really a fan of LINE but since I was already spending money and time, I might as well maximise the time to take photos as if I were a fan.

LIVE Village consists of various rooms decorated after LINE characters. One thing that I must commend is the staff. Although they are not present in every room and their main job is to watch people not to damage things, they are very proactive in asking if we want help to take photos. Some of the rooms have mirrors and the staff also made effort to position themselves so as not to get reflected while helping to take photos. I am really impressed.

The experience here is highly dependent on the other visitors. If you are together with others who are inconsiderate and unable to share the space for respectful photo taking, you will be miserable. If you are together with others who are here to also take photos, usually it will be ok as we will respect one another.

I feel rather pissed at the end of today but I guess I should not be complaining. I decided that I am just a follower for this trip and I just want to spend sometime with family. It is kinda irritating that I did not really manage to shop but my bigger irritation is how we are always 'quarreling' every 1-2 hours over the simple things: where to go, what to eat, what to do. I am not really rigid with itinerary planning during travelling but a trip with zero planning whatsoever is really horrible. No wonder I am antisocial and prefer travelling alone.

No comments: