Thursday, April 18, 2019

Japan Trip Day 7: Disneyland

Learning from yesterday's experience, I left even earlier for Disneyland today so that I could enter as soon as the gate opened at 9am. I did not manage to get breakfast since the hotel bakery was already closed when I came back last evening. I went to buy at kombini near Maihama station and had my breakfast while queueing and waiting for Disneyland gate to open.

The day started badly for me. I was hoping for Peter Pan to start roaming behind the castle at 9am but there was no character there. By the time I went for the photo tickets with either Judy Hopps or Nick Wilde, the queue was already closed as there were enough people queueing. My goodness it was barely 915am. I should have queued here first T_T

After that I saw Peter Pan and Wendy at the courtyard outside the castle and as always, they were more interested in kids. To maximise the photo keycard, I went take photos with Donald and Daisy. The waiting time was 35 minutes and 20 minutes, respectively, so it was very reasonable. The staff helping me with Donald snapped extra photos during our interaction so I really appreciated that.

On my way to Toon Town, I chanced upon Esmeralda (from the Hunchback of the Notre Dame) just came out. She was not so popular as noone followed her walking to her photo spot. That was good for me since I was the second to queue and I got a photo with her. She chose a wall background so there were no photobombers. Hehe..

Just across there, Peter Pan and Wendy appeared to take photos near the Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall. Lucky me they were on the queue with tickets so I finally managed to take photos with them. Peter Pan is supposed to be 12 years old or something but the character is taller than me leh! He noticed that I liked green since I was wearing green jacket, green pants, and green shoes. Wendy noticed that the shirt under my jacket has blue but I told her that was Genie. Aaaw...

When I reached Toon Town, the queue for Mickey was snaking all the way to the seating area for the cafeteria so I might as well wait for the Easter parade. Similar to my observations from yesterday, this time of the year is not that busy. The parade already began from the opposite side of the Park but I was still able to get a relatively unblocked standing spot. I enjoyed the Easter parade as the song is very catchy.

The parade did not deter people from queuing for Mickey. At the end of the parade, I decided to queue. At least the queue was shorter now compared to before the parade although it was still 80 minutes. Based on yesterday experience at Disneysea, I think waiting for at least an hour for character photo is the minimum. I got Mickey as band conductor but I had no qualms since I had photo keycard. Lol.

It was time to check out the Easter decoration at the area outside the castle. I tried my luck to have a picture with Mary Poppins and Bert to no avail. After taking some pictures with the Easter decorations, I went to the entrance area but there were no roaming characters. I returned to Toon Town and took a photo with Horace Horsecollar. He is not as famous as Chip & Dale, Scrooge, Goofy & Max, or Clarabelle so quite poor thing nobody took photo with him. After that I had a late lunch and then 'choped' a better spot for another Usatama on the Run parade. I queued again for Mickey and it was still 70-80 minutes. I got Sorcerer Mickey this time and the whole group that entered that room with me all screamed gladly. I had dinner at Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall and queued for photo with Mickey again in hope of getting Steamboat Willie Mickey. My good luck did not seem to persist that long as I got Sorcerer Mickey again.

I decided not to take photos for Electrical Parade and to just enjoy the parade. Bleah.. the whole experience was ruined because I was too close to a bunch of noisy students. I don't mind if they were noisy because they were excited for the parade but they were noisy about their cameras and the cold. Like duh.. who asked you to wear short skirt knowing it is usually quite windy in Disneyland. I sat too near to the shop (Toontown Five and Dime) and the lights on the signage of the shop were not dimmed. It sort of ruined the Electrical Parade experience.

Since I missed the fireworks last night, I was ready for tonight. The name for the fireworks show in Disneyland is also Disney Light the Night so I suppose it will be the same as Disneysea. Alas they cancelled it because of weather. Interestingly 'Celebrate Tokyo Disneyland' was still showing despite the more extensive fireworks involved. I am glad to catch this for one last time since the run for this is ending soon since it was created to celebrate the 35th anniversary of Tokyo Disneyland.

I got pretty cold and I decided to get a cup of hot cocoa. With the remaining time left until closing time, I managed to squeeze in Alice's Tea Party, Mickey's PhilharMagic, and Snow White's Adventure. The old hag in the Snow White's Adventure is actually quite spooky. The one that I was really curious was Alice's Tea Party. It looks fun from outside as people were screaming with glee but having experienced riding it, it is not that dizzying or scary.

Same as yesterday, I was too tired to explore until park closure time and I went to check out the stores. I bought Easter 2019 Tomica cars. I have been buying these cars to sell but so far none has been sold and it feels like I end up collecting them.
Amazing view (with the moon) as I left
While the day started rather emo for missing out on Judy Hopps/Nick Wilde, I felt the opposite now. I am elated to finally have a photo with Peter Pan. Esmeralda was a bonus. Haha.. It was quite amazing to see what this photo keycard did to me. In total I queued for almost 5 hours for Donald, Daisy, and 3x Mickey today. Normally anything more than an hour wait and I would skip. I also got to try Alice's Tea Party and Snow White's Adventure that I never tried before. Oh man.. now I am confused if I should forgo shopping tomorrow and continue with another day at Disneyland or Disneysea.

To close with photos of some Easter decorations:
Characters shaped like Easter eggs
No chance to take this without photobombers in day time
Max and Goofy
A designated photo spot with official photographer in day time so no chance to take a clear photo at day time
Another designated photo spot

No comments: