Saturday, November 29, 2014

Hernia :(

It all began with increasing frequency of gastric discomfort. Initially I thought they were just normal bouts of gastric discomfort. I began to notice something usual: they occurred more and more often (as often as once a month), they were not associated with missed meals or late meals, and normal gastric medications did not have any effects. There was also stretching discomfort at the inguinal region (that's medical term for the region between the thigh and the abdomen) which made me suspicious about hernia.
However, when you google hernia, its presentation is commonly as a bulge. I did not notice anything bulging. When I compared my left and right side, the right side feels "harder" as if  there was something underlying it but I did not suspect anything. I thought it was quite normal to have your left and right body unsymmetrical. I went to see doctor and he could not feel the hernia pouch on my inguinal region but I still got my referral to hospital. In fact, I was actually more bothered about the gastric pain which lately seemed to coincide with the discomfort at the inguinal region.

When I went home to attend my cousin's wedding last week, I decided to ask my uncle who is a doctor. He told me that inguinal hernia could extend to the scrotum. After hearing that, I started touching myself to realise that I had 3 lumps there!! Shit.. I was very sure that previously I only had 2 balls down there. After 1 of the random nights, I woke up with only 2 balls down there so I am quite sure that really I have inguinal hernia which goes to the scrotum. No wonder there is no visible bulge anywhere :( I always thought inguinal hernia and scrotal hernia as different issue altogether. Since my discomfort is always at the inguinal, I am not bothered to check for any random lumps at the crotch.

I went to TTSH yesterday and the doctor said I got no hernia as she could not feel anything at the inguinal region. I told her about the scrotum lump and I had to expose myself T_T Just with 1 cough, it was confirmed that I have a hernia down there. I am fully prepared with the fact that hernia repair will only be done by surgery. However I am not prepared to here the risks, although the likelihood is very small. The first one I am most worried is if somehow the spermatic cord is damaged. It basically means I will just become a half man. Haiz :( The second risk is the nerve damage that will affect my thigh. I know the risks are small bla bla bla but you can never know anything before it is cut open and see how anatomy is like down there.

I can't wait until 15 January which is the earliest date TTSH can give me. I will try Glenagles this Thursday. I believe in private, as long as I am willing to pay, I can get it done more quickly. Thank goodness I decided to purchase a health insurance earlier this year. The problem is finding a good surgeon. I ask around so many doctors and all of them have no contact with hernia surgeons. I decided to book an appointment with the doctor who operated on my dad 20 years ago (as well as my grand uncle and grand aunt). I believe that he is good. My concern will be his age. Sigh.. I mean if I have to sacrifice my reproductive capability and my thigh nerve because of my anatomy, I can accept it. But I am worried if unsteady hands will damage the wrong thing. Huhuhu T_T

I don't know how this will turn out but my advice for all of you, especially the guys, out there:
1) Get a health insurance. You never know when disaster or illness strikes and you need it. The hospital bills in Singapore is crazy and with an insurance, at least you don't get to worry about finance. Yes, a peace of mind is costly.

2) Get a rider that allows you to go to private hospitals. The wait at restructured hospitals are crazy. I seriously cannot wait another month with the occasional gastric discomfort (which is happening more frequently) and an additional lump bigger than testicles in the scrotum.

3) This may sound inappropriate but touch and play with your balls everyday. Don't be like me who cannot even be sure whether I have an abnormal lump in my scrotum! Honestly, even the severe gastric pain still cannot compare with the worry thinking if you have any abnormality in your manhood! In fact, this is what making me more worried lately.

2 comments:

Fitness for All said...

I was just going to log out from my account when I decided to stop by and read. I know it is always easier said than done, but have faith. It is going to be alright. I just read something that might make you feel better: Patience does not mean to passively endure. It means to look at the end of a process. What does patience mean? It means to look at the thorn and see the rose, to look at the night and see the dawn. Impatience means to be shortsighted as to not be able to see the outcome. The lovers of God never run out of patience, for they know that time is needed for the crescent moon to become full.-Shams of Tabriz.

I know it's not easy. But you can give it a try. Do what you can and leave it to God.

darkrose said...

Thank you for your kind words. I fully agree with them. We are just humans and we can just leave things beyond our control to God, our Creator.