Monday, July 14, 2014

WDCC Peter Pan: "Nobody Calls Pan a Coward!"

WDCC stands for Walt Disney Classic Collection which is a series of collectible porcelain figurines of Disney characters. Its history dated back since 1992 with Schmid as the initial manufacturer until 1998 when Disney took over its manufacturer. The production license was granted to Enesco in 2004. Sadly, on the 20th year of Anniversary of this line, Enesco did not continue with the license and the line met its tragic end when Precious Moments took over in 2013.

In 20 years of its history, there are hundreds of WDCC figurines. Each figurine bears a signature marks/stamps which represent the year of production. The marks change every year and usually important icons in Walt Disney history is chosen such as steamboat wheel (from Steamboat Willie), Donald Duck's sailor hat, Mickey's Sorcerer Hat, Dumbo's feather, Cinderella's shoes, etc. For the full list of the marks and which years, I will recommend this page. There are open edition, closed edition, numbered limited edition, production year limited edition, and retired edition. One interesting to note is that open edition figurines can have different marks/stamps as they can be produced in different years.

That's a brief introduction to WDCC and now I shall move on to this WDCC Peter Pan: "Nobody Calls Pan a Coward!". The first edition was released in 1993 with treble clef mark and "40th Anniversary" mark in gold at the base. The piece is retired in September 2000. The original retail price is USD 175. The box measures 13.5cm (L) x 13.5cm (W) x 20.5cm (H) while the figure itself is 12.7cm and has a diameter of approximately 8.8cm.

Sadly, I was a noob to WDCC when I bought this and mine was the one produced in 1994 (dancing flower mark and no "40th Anniversary" embedding). I paid only USD 70 for this (which was a good bargain) and shipping cost me USD 35.27. I don't understand how the shipping for this can be similar to the giant Disney Parks Peter Pan 60th Anniversary statue.. Bleah.. The box is not in A+ state but I am just glad that the figure arrived in one piece.
The box, the figure, certificate of authenticity and promotional insert
 The rather beaten up box
The dancing flower mark/stamp is also present on the box!
The styrofoam!
I seriously don't see the link between the pose and the title of the figurine
 360 degree view
Great details.. but the teeth are rather scary haha..
The base with the dancing flower mark
 I don't feel secure seeing how the figure is linked to the base..
 The certificate of authenticity
 The promotional insert

This is my very first porcelain figurine and I feel rather underwhelmed. For its original price, I find this too simple for my liking. But I still like it because if I hate it, I will be tempted to sell it. Haha.. The beauty of porcelain is its durability. It is amazing that a 20-year-old item is still in this condition. I wonder if my Japanese PVC figurines can last this long. I don't think plastic can survive that long. 

No comments: