Saturday, January 5, 2013

Less miserable..

Fiuh.. finally weekend is here! It is time to hibernate and to regain back energy from all the plane-lag. Have been quite moody for the past few days due to insufficient time to sleep.

 
I watched Les Miserables on Thursday night. Okay, I am a sucker for spoilers la! I watched it without reading anything about it first so I was lost for most of the movie. I could not even get the names (French names!) of the characters. The only one I heard correctly was Marius. The other two which I could heard were "Fountain" and "Corsette". I did not catch the rest. Lol. I also did not expect that it was a full musical and I did not catch many parts of the singing. Haha.. My command of English remains poor when it comes to song lyrics!

Anyway, I am not too satisfied with the movie. I did not know that the story is that miserable. Anna Hathaway's character did not even last for half of the movie and my main reason for watching was to hear her sing! I don't really enjoy the singing of Hugh Jackman and Russel Crowe (the 2 main leads!) and I thought the songs of the students for the revolution are nicer than the songs sung by the main characters (except for I dreamed a dream, of course! Anna Hathaway deserves an Oscar, not for her singing, but rather for her acting and conveyed emotion while performing this). Bleah.. I also find the story to be rather messy and several disjointed plots. It started with slavery and then jumped to reformation of Jean which was somehow linked to Fantine's story of prostitution to support her illegitimate child. Jean then helped Fantine's child (Cosette) and then came the revolution and Cosette fell in love with Marius.

I actually enjoy Phantom of the Opera (2004) more than this. Phantom's story is simpler but the sub-plots and how the characters are intertwined with one another form a better story altogether. The songs are nicer and certainly it is more enjoyable to hear more females singing! Critics were not too impressed with Gerard Butler's singing but I thought he performed better than Hugh Jackman or Russel Crowe in Les Miserables. Yup I actually bought the DVD and the casette for Phantom but not interested for Les Miserables. Oh well, who cares about my opinion right? Haha.. The pro music critics think more highly for Les Miserables.. But still, Les Miserables is still worth watching! My favourites are One Day More and Do You Hear The People Sing.

My Christmas books loots are here! I only got the time to open and browse through them. No time to really scrutinise and make comments. Perhaps next time after I am done reading them. One thing for sure: I have really RUN OUT of storage space!! So yeah, even if I have the money, I can no longer buy things anymore.. Sad sad..
The Art of Rise of the Guardians
Final Fantasy 25th Memorial Ultimania set
The 3 volumes of Final Fantasy 25th Memorial Ultimania
Avengers vs X-men

No comments: