Saturday, October 29, 2011

Zettai Kareshi + SP


Synopsis:
Robot maker, Kronos Heaven, finally develops "Tenjo Night", the perfect male humanoid programmed to be devoted and completely loyal to his lover. The company chooses temp worker Izawa Riko to take part in a 5-day free trial. At first, Riko only sees Night as a household appliance. But when she finds out how deep Night's devotion to herself is, Riko finds herself falling in love with him. Joining the love triangle is Asamoto Soshi, a distinguished young executive at her company who has feelings for her. --Fuji TV

The SP took place 3 years after the TV series. Riko and Soshi completed their Paris studies and were summoned back to aid the declining Asamoto group. Unexpectedly, Tenjo Night came back alive after previously declared irrepairable by its creator.

My opinion:
It is a very (bitter) sweet romance comedy. My friends told me that I would cry buckets watching this and I expected good stuff. I was disappointed initally. The first part where it really touched me was when Riko decided to purchase Night as she realised that he was special. The next touching part is the episode with Riko's parents. Oh well, parent-child relationship is always a good tear-jerker for me. Still there is no major "cry me a river" moment. 

I like the way they add in Riko's culinary dream as well as Asamoto and Kronos Heaven business goals to provide the backbone of the storyline and major conflict plots. I expected the conflicts to resolve around Night-Riko-Soshi love triangle. And when they introduced Soshi's ex-girlfriend, I expected another love triangle. However, it is not the case. The love story presented here is really touch and sacrificial. The characters here mostly hide their feelings because they continuously think that the other party is together with someone else. It is very nice everyone can work together and get along despite this complicated relationship. And this is the reason I hate Mika. She is the seemingly only "villainous" character here out of her jealousy towards Riko. It is old and cheesy to use 'my enemy is my best friend' kind of plot. Even though in the end she sorted things out with Riko, I still think it was unnecessary to make her bad initially just to introduce some conflicts.

Hayami Mokomichi played his robotic character very very excellently. His movement, his facial expresison, and the way he speaks are very robot-like. I am amazed that he can keep a straight face while doing stupid things and saying stupid words. Riko is an unbelievably nice and positive girl: something good to see in TV but something non-existant in real life. Lol. Unfortunately, I came across the actress from Buzzer Beater first and overthere she played as the cheating and jealous ex-girlfriend. So it is just hard for me to see her acting all good here :p Soshi's role is just too serious and restrictive for Mizushima Hiro. I am entertained by his carefree and crazy roles in other series. Even though he is good here, I just think Soshi's character does not allow him to really use his crazy charms haha.. Unexpectedly, Soshi's ex-girlfriend is a very like-able character (which ex-girlfriends have been portrayed good on TV?). While she still wants him, she realised that she missed her chance. Now Soshi loves Riko and hence she gave him support not to repeat her mistake: to miss the chance. And despite being cooking rival with Riko, she is all good and friendly towards her. Another unexpected character is Namikiri-san, the creator to the robot. He adds into the hilarity and has a suprisingly important portion in the story. Lastly, I love Maya Miki as the motherly figure for Riko here. Hehe..

The ending is perfect. A bit spoiler here but Night realised that he is a robot and for the sake of his Riko, he knows that it is best for her to be with another human a.k.a Soshi. It is still sad to see him "dead" in the end but it is a good ending for Riko to get over her love over a machine for a real human. 

However, near the ending, the idea about the robot gaining emotion and becoming more human-like, the idea about a human is loving a robot, and the ethical question whether it is okay to dismantle the robot after he gains his own free will are just getting too bizarre.

Unfortunately, the SP screws everything up. It is a big mess. I have no idea how this Dr Kamiya suddenly comes into the picture. For no reason she is damn smart and can 'repair' Night whom even the creator cannot do anything about it. It is also crazy to throw in the US military secret as her sub-plot. Utter rubbish and nonsense. Apparently Dr Kamiya tried to replace his dead boyfriend with a robot who looks exactly like him. Eventually the robot told her to move on bla bla bla. So the whole thing about Dr Kamiya is just to give Night the inspiration from that other robot: should let human with human. Bleah.. There are other unfinished plot such as Asamoto's new shop under Soshi and Riko. The idea about the food and the business are just like thrown out of the window. So yeah, it looks like Japanese dorama SPs always screw up the good ground produced by the preceeding TV doramas sia..

My afterthoughts:
As much as I thought it was weird for Riko to fall for a robot, I actually would not mid to have one if such robot exists in the future. I mean come on, the robot is so nice and can be your second source of income. It looks and acts just like other human minus away all the negatives. And it is a scary thought! I am at an age in which I should start thinking about having a relationship and start a family. But how and when :( People tell me that I am thinking too much. Sometimes I do think too much that people deserve someone better other than me :( Or what to talk about if I have to talk everyday to this girlfriend? And what if after sometime then I got bored.. Sigh.. at this rate, perhaps I need someone to matchmake me or I need the girl to actually take the first step.. Aaargh...

And thinking about passion, after start working, I really think that I like to teach :( Haiz.. If really cannot, I hope I can be as "lucky" as Riko. She is initially working as office lady but thanks to her boss, she had the chance to bake cakes and eventually had a go at her dream of being a Pattisier. I hope that even though I am stuck doing what I don't really like to do now, perhaps someone would offer me to teach/lecture as a part-time initially and after that going full-time there.. With God, there is nothing impossible!!! Lol..

No comments: