Sunday, February 7, 2010

Project R.I.C.E - Grains of Love

Finally this looong project has come to an end :) I am glad and at the same time I am honestly feel proud of myself and I feel a great sense of fulfillment this time.. not just doing some CIP for some CCA points kind of feeling. Basically, we just collected rice from residents around Bukit Batok and Toh Guan areas and then we repacked them to 5kg packs and we sent them to some beneficiaries. I belong to Operations Sub-comm and my agony started looong time ago since I had to recee the place. I went at least 3 times to the place that I recceed until I got sick of it. Lol. The project itself consists of 2 parts: publicity day (last week) where we informed residents about the project and that we would be collecting the donation during the collection days (this weekend).

During the publicity day, there was a shortage of manpower. And it was super crap that the HR person sent some people to other areas. This is the first time that I heard things like "we have enough volunteers".. I was like wth.. where got such thing as enough volunteers for a voluntary project o_0 My subcomm 'excused' ourselves to check for the truck route for the collection days. Haha.. so I was spared from doing the things I hate: knock doors, talked and getting pissed by pissed Singaporeans. Lol.. That's why at the same time I am very impressed with the volunteers who had to do the above mentioned things.. However, due to the lack of manpower, after the event ended, there were still uncovered blocks.. and guess what: the subcomm had to do it. Omg.. Haha.. I ended up putting the flyers to the mailbox. I thought it was a quick and easy job and I was thoroughly wrong.. It was so mundane and when I saw more than 100 boxes from a block, I felt like fainting already. Lol.. But still, that was much better than going to every floor and putting the flyers at the doorstep. I cleared 3 blocks -___-

Yesterday was the collection day 1. I thought I did the right thing by choosing the slackest job ever: be the guy on the truck. I am extremely wrong. My expectation was: so few people would actually donate so I could just skip few collection points because there was nothing to collect. Reality check: I had to work full time all around the clock. Lol.. The collectors helped to bring the rice from collection point to the truck while I had to arrange them in the truck.. So it was like, if each of them carry 2 bags, I need to carry 2x how many people number of bags. LOL.. Had to make 3 rounds also.. It was crazy.. But oh well, the fact that I worked hard is maybe the reason why I thought this project was great. Haha.. It's precisely because I contributed.. At the end of the first day, we collected about 6000kg of rice.. Since there were 2 trucks doing the collection, I roughly can say that I carried about 3000kg load on that day. Fiuh..

Today was the collection day 2. We covered the smaller area and I was the overall I/C so I went around to check the progress. They ended quite early today and when I went around I didn't see so much rice was collected. I was so stunned when the truck came and the total for the day was ONE FULL TRUCK!! (By the way, in terms of amount, after final counting, we nearly collected the same amount.. though somehow I thought I saw less when I went around lol). I was too shagged after day 1 to help in loading and unloading. Thank goodness there was one very enthu girl and a few of very enthu and energetic guys to help. It was just mad.. By the time we had to distribute them, the truckmen of the day were already too tired. Because of limited number of guys, I had no choice but to do some muscle work again. There were 3 delivery to the last place and I had to do 2 rounds of unloading T_T. We ended damn late and I really pitied the guys who followed us. They should have been dismissed at 6.


Our day 1 collection.
No day 1 + day 2 collection since from this morning, we already distributed "few" packs to other beneficiaries.

As tired as I am, I am extremely impressed with the volunteers effort. Kudos to them for going to every unit, knocked their door, asked for donation, and helped to carry. That was just great, especially to the 11 guys who stayed late with us. Lol.. We were so tired and pissed because we could not go back yet and ended up talking rubbish.. They told me that "walawe" is a rude word o_0.. I wonder what it meant. Haha.. worse I said it when someone passed me the phone when their teacher was calling. Haha... I thought it was so cute about how often they said the F word.. but in front of the teachers, they suddenly became very quiet and be good boys. Lol.. No matter how bratty they can seem to be, they still have the innocent and cute kiddo sides haha..

In fact, I am so furious and disgusted with the 'adults'. The uni and few of the subcomm people behaved disgustingly.. Gosh.. I wonder how on earth they did not have any shame invoked when they saw the secondary school kids worked so hard (and so long) while they just slacked around, read notes, gave black face, and hundreds of other disgusting things that they did.. By the sheer size (and muscle development alone), they should have realised that these kids had to be more tired than us and needed helped. Blah.. apparently "forced volunteers" are even better than "voluntary volunteers cum cca point hunters" and it was really such a shame shown by supposedly well educated students from the top university in the nation..

I am also surprised by the generosity of the residents. To be frank, I always think most people here are kiasu and stingy.. But through this project, I guess most Singaporeans are actually generous as long as they don't donate money. Haha.. funny.. it's so simple/convenient to just donate money but it is like hell doing flag day.. But this one: they actually don't mind to take the effort to go to supermarket to buy the rice, carry it back to their home or carry it to the collection point.. Isn't it more troublesome? Yet they rather do it.. perhaps it is more tangible to donate goods than money.. It is even more heartwarming that some people donated in abundance: someone donated 2 large sack @100kg each and another one sent 510kg or rice.. The amount is just OMG... Even better, there were some people whom after approached about this, told our volunteers to wait since they would buy from the nearest supermarket. There was even this person today, whom upon knowing about this project, went to NTUC to buy and she/he (I don't know) had troubles transporting that we had to send someone to pick the rice. I wonder how much that person gave.. These are really surprising in an individualistic environment here.

One thing that screwed the whole experience was a bitch slut cum teacher from the secondary school. OMG.. she scolded the subcomm because she was very sure that few of us climbed the fence with the students. She was proven to be wrong (it was one of the volunteers) so we felt strongly that instead of accusing us and scolding us, she should tell us nicely so that we could inform our volunteers. To aggravate her stupidity even more, she said idiotic things like "I am sure in you university you also have fences and you are not allowed to climb over". We were like "wtf.. this idiot confirm didn't graduate from our university because ours clearly has no fence whatsoever". Haha.. In the end, the "climb gate" thing became our joke and today, one of us was great! When we were done, another teacher told us "you got to leave now or I will have to lock you" then one of us said jokingly "then we climbed the gate lor". Haha.. The bitch face was so fugly while this teacher just laughed off the joke. She's such a bitch and I will psycho my PD to send the school complaint letter to this bitch lol..

Final count: 2200+ packs of 5kg rice.. That amount to more than 11 TONNES of rice omg.. I am honestly amazed that I managed to carry THOUSANDs of kg of things LOL.. so strong.. though at many point of times, I felt like I just wanted to faint and rest.. Hahaha...

It was another great experience for me :) I hope that is sufficient to redeem myself from skipping church today (simply no time..) and of failing pharmacotherapy on this tuesday.. AAAAAAAh.....

No comments: