Wednesday, June 5, 2019

Bangkok Trip Day 1

The last time I visited Bangkok was in 2008. I recently watched a Thai drama series on Youtube and it makes me want to re-visit. It was a nice surprise that my family is going to Bangkok during this Hari Raya. It was quite sudden and I felt quite torn between tired (this is between my Taiwan holiday and my upcoming work trip to the Philippines) and to save leave vs a holiday with an aunt who hardly goes overseas. Not to mention that for some selfish reasons, my family is taking 6am flight back on the Friday :( That means I will be only spending 2 days and wasting my leave on Friday just to fly back when we could have flown back on Saturday instead.

I only exchanged $87 worth of SGD to THB and it was ridiculous that my trip to the airport this morning cost half of that. Thanks to the limousine cab assigned to my advance booking. Next time I should remember to ask for regular taxi.

I had a surprise in getting seat 1B on the flight. Too bad it was on Scoot so first row is still Economy. Usually they charge $40-80 extra for first row so I shall count my blessings. The boarding gate was a bus gate so my 'Board me First' was only for boarding the bus to the plane. Lame. The overhead compartment for the first row is reserved for plane stuff so it was quite troublesome to put it on the second row. I usually avoid front seats as there is no seat in front to put in my valuables bag. I thought front seats would mean putting everything on the overhead compartment but on this flight, we were asked to put behind metal bar under our own seats. Overall I had quite a good first row experience haha. It allowed me to leave the plane early and coupled with early flight timing, I had zero queue for the immigration too.

I did not take taxi for few reasons: I wanted to try the train system, I wanted to avoid morning rush traffic jam, and I was afraid if the taxi driver brought me elsewhere. I borrow a Rabbit card from a colleague which turns out to be only useable for BTS. Airport Rail Link is a separate system and I had to buy separate ticket. The machine does not accept 1000 baht note so thank God 7-11 could give me change although I only bought 11 baht mineral water. It is also interesting that instead of usual paper card for the train ticket, a plastic token is used instead. This token is to be tapped like a card upon entrance and is to be slotted into the gantry upon exit.
My first time so I find this very fascinating
The train ride experience itself was quite horrendous. It was packed and warm. There is no demarcation on the seats so people were just squeezing their butts to sit as long as they could fit. The guy next to me was quite sweaty and did not make any attempt to keep his arm and leg away from me. Haiz. It cost 45 baht and took about half an hour from airport to the other end (Phayathai) for me to change to BTS. I realised that Thai pronounciation is not always the same as reading the English as Phayathai sounds like 'viathai' to me and the other stations also do not sound like how I expect the English letters to be read.

BTS saves my impression on the trains here. The train is cooling and is as nice as Singapore MRT. Bangkok is the first overseas city I visited for holiday in 2008 and being first, I took some photos on the road and shopping malls even when they were just like any other shopping malls. Those photos are useful today as they help me to orientate myself to walk from the BTS station to the hotel although that big Gaysorn signage is gone now.

The first thing that my dad did was to return the angpaus I gave my grandma since Monkey year. She had not even opened them :( I was not upset about the money but more of the reminder that my grandma just passed away last year.

We went to Big C next to the hotel for the money changer. Since there are 5 of us, we somehow decide that Grab is indeed the most convenient way to go around since we can specify a 6-seater request.

We went to ICONSIAM which my ex-colleague recommended. The mall is too atas for me to shop and the decoration is too artificial for me to enjoy taking photos so definitely it is not my cup of tea. However the night market area is quite amazing for traditional street food and souvenirs. I think the prices are reasonable and the quality is still above average at least. The theme-ing of the toilets is interesting although not my cup of tea to take photos haha..

Within 5 hours here, I had 2 cups of drink: Thai Milk Tea from Cha Trai Mue and Okinawa Magma Lava from Kamu Tea. According to the picture, Okinawa Magma Lava has tiramisu in the center and topped with cocoa. The cocoa was good but I did not really taste any tiramisu. Anyway both are too sweet for me and I was not asked about sugar level.

The mall is next to a river and when we wanted to go out in the afternoon, it was raining. The mall was lending umbrellas for people to go out. Amazing service indeed. I did not go out since the view was nothing unique or different from any other rivers.

We took Grab to Asiatique which is open only from 4pm. From a high end shopping mall, Asiatique feels super warm and humid. Nonetheless I was so excited to see 100-200 baht t-shirts and pants. I bought an elephant pants (100 baht) and a thai silk shirt (300 baht). I decided to KIV a green singlet (150 baht which I thought quite expensive for a singlet) and a singlet with Mickey muay thai picture (180 baht). I did not manage to find shorts or baggy pants with elephant designs with reasonable price. I was eyeing for hats that look like bowler hat/fishermen hat but they seem not to be made of fabric and hence not collapsible. I think it will be a hassle to keep. I think can get one for 150-200 baht. I saw one made of green fabric but it was 400 baht. Ow.. No way I am paying that much. I am not a hat or cap person as it will flatten my hair. However I want to try this type of rather tall hat since I think the top will not be pressing down and flatten my hair. 400 baht just to experiment is too much.

Japanese and Western food are dominating Asiatique. We chose a Thai-Asian restaurant which I thought was just mediocre at best. I prefer more authentic Thai taste like the ones we had in ICONSIAM earlier.

Despite the tiredness, I decided to finish souvenir shopping by tonight. Big C had crazy queue past 9pm as fhe tour groups are rushing to end their tour. I went to the shopping mall next door (called Market) in hope of finding other supermarket. There is a souvenir food shop instead and that is good enough.

I am glad that after 11 years, Bangkok remains a nice place to do shopping as cheap as 100 baht (though most of the minimum seems to be at 200 baht). There is nice skywalk connecting Siam area all the way to Pratunam for covered walking now. One major change that I feel, however, is that people seem to be less friendly as compared to the past.

No comments: