Friday, September 7, 2018

Real farewell

Finally the day I have been waiting for is over. I officially can say goodbye to this shit place. This final week has been light and relaxing with no responsibility and I could slack around to handover things. Hehe if only things were like this all these time.

I don't know if I should be happy but on Wednesday, my boss made time to have a farewell lunch with me. That is my last farewell meal. There were 2 colleagues from HQ that came along as well. Initially even without the lunch plan from boss, we were already joking that both of them would some day come down to shake hands and bid me farewell. Lol.

Anyway it does not change my mind or my feelings of leaving. Even when I felt like crying when we exchanged handshake and hug at the end of the meal, I still feel very bitter with all the un-appreciation for the work done in the past year. I value action more than words so there is no point saying good things like why I am leaving etc when I have been given shit throughout. Of course I did not want to burn bridges so I was joking that since I am only on 1 year contract for now at the new job, maybe I would come back. Haha.. just to keep my options open although I do not foresee myself coming back to this shit hole. Nope, not when these biased bosses are still around.

That is also the same with my colleagues at work. I told them already that I do not want any farewell gifts. They still gave me a farewell card. It is not going to change my feelings because after all what is the use of all the "niceties" just before I go when previously many of them have been giving me shit anyway. Honestly I am only sad and going to miss the people who have been with me since I came here in 2011, who have helped me survive my pre-reg training, who have helped me at work before the shit people subsequently came.

I will miss some of the doctors too. Thank you for debunking the myth that doctors are nasty stuck up people. I really enjoy working together in a spirit of camaraderie with many of them. On Thursday, I looked for the most senior doctor to say my goodbye. I was so touched when she said "No you don't come up to me. I will come down later to look for you". She came down to look for me and gave me a hug. I was so touched and almost cried leh.

I was surprised that I was not overcome with emotion today. Haha.. I thought I would feel more sad or something but perhaps today I was just counting down until 12pm to finally leave. I was contemplating if I should take photos with everyone but in the end I decided that I won't give a damn and I just took photos with the people I actually cared.

I have not really done packing and I would like to take a nap before my flight tonight but in the end I decided that I should just complete writing about this and uploading the farewell pictures on facebook rather than leaving it until after my trip. I shall not hold any more memories here longer. Lol.

Just to keep tab of the farewell gifts I got:
-Earphone holder from one of the sisters
-Towel set from the sisters and APN
-Snoopy stationery holder and OSIM uMask from the head doctor and deputies
-Sheaffer pen from my preceptor
-Bagel cushion and small Stitch plushie from my neighbouring colleague
-$80 Takashimaya voucher from the pharmacists and executive
-$60 angpau from one of the retail aunties

Some people give farewell gifts only out of necessity or to follow the crowd while some people are genuine. I am not saying that others are not genuine but I have to say that I am extremely touched with the retail auntie. $60 is a huge amount and on top of that a personal message on the angpau: that is truly genuine. I will not be able to return your kindness so I can only pray that God will return your kindness in multitudes.

I have been complaining that I regret extending my work by a week. Ironically it is actually a blessing in disguise. Otherwise I could possibly be in Japan during typhoon Jebi. I suppose that is another example to just trust in God's plan.

Finally it is time to leave the past 7 years behind, to enjoy the coming holiday and short freedom, and to look forward to the new job.

No comments: