Tuesday, May 29, 2018

Japan Trip Day 4: Yokohama, Odaiba

Yokohama is less than 30 minutes away from Shinagawa by train. I was quite surprised that everything seemed quite modern and new: the train stations, the buildings, and the city environment in general. It feels like a newly developed city while my expectation was something similar to Tokyo or Osaka.

Honestly I was not too eager to visit Yokohama because initially this was in the itinerary to bring my dad to see the Chinatown. Even though my dad is not coming, I decided to still go since I already spent effort researching what to see and how to go. I was also very distracted about finding Daiso to buy laundry bags since I wanted to wash my clothes at the hotel.

We alighted at Minato Mirai and had difficulty in our way finding initially. As expected the area is full of shopping malls and again the malls are more modern: the floor area is huge and the ceiling is huge to give a spacious feel. Cosmo World is quite interesting: the attractions do not look that scary and are disproportionate to the amount of screaming from the riders.

We entered a toy claw machine shop. My sister was interested in Doraemon plush while I decided my luck to get Aladdin Q Posket. I just did it for fun and stopped after 500 yen. Ok now I cannot complain anymore if people are selling each of this claw machine toys at 1000 yen. I feel quite cheated and I think this 500 yen is tuition fee for the future. Lesson #1: I can only press each button once i.e I cannot press a bit a bit to aim to the position I want. No wonder for my first try, the thingy did not move at all. Lesson #2: These machines may be rigged. Just at that "sweet spot", the machine may just go over slightly.

We continued to walk until the Red Brick Warehouse and that was when I decided that enough for Yokohama today. The park that we passed by looked very newly cultivated and there was no further interest to see other parks. The sea front also looks uninspiring. Perhaps what gets my interest the most in Yokohama is the Cup Noodle Museum and what a luck that it is closed on Tuesdays. Sianz.

My sister asked if we were going to see the Chinatown and this made me angry. I asked 2 days ago and she said she did not want. Thus my plan for today was based on that consideration and I was not going to change my plan. We went to find Daiso and managed to get laundry bags. I was thirsty so I checked out Gong Cha and I was shocked that the price was ridiculous in Japan. Lol.. how can Gong Cha be even more expensive than Starbucks.

I did not take any photos with the Gundam in Odaiba this time because I did not want to take photos with other tourists behind. I was not too disappointed since I had enough photos during December trip. Near the Gundam, there was a K-pop group mini concert called Snuper. Seeing how Japanese fans and public behave is amazing. The fans were not as crazy and the public was not as kaypoh compared to at where I come from. Even the 'security' around the stage was also not over-the-top.
Snuper
I decided to buy a 3-way-bag from Uniqlo since my current travelling bag is already quite chui, I bought 1 Mickey sky blue t-shirt just to match with a light blue shorts that I have. Lol. To make everything exceed 5000 yen to be eligible for the tax free, I got an orange Saint Seiya t-shirt. I actually prefer to get a Prince of Tennis t-shirt but there was no M size here. These anime t-shirts are collaboration with Shonen Jump 50th anniversary. There is Kuroko no Basket as well but the design is too obiang with big Kuroko in front and big Akashi at the back. I am too old to wear such obiang t-shirts :(

At Gundam Base, I decided to get the 1/60 Gundam Wing to make use of my Business Class luggage allowance. If I am flying economy, there is no way I will buy something this big. I also bought HG 1/100 Wing Gundam 0 Custom "Special Operation Type". I even did something unthinkable by offering my friend to get 1 Gundam of his choice. But just ONE. Lol.
Still just these 3 decorating Gundam Base
I was looking forward to dinner here because I wanted the Takoyaki. Sadly, I chose yuzu sauce and it sucked. Lol. So basically I had a disappointing dinner. I started some souvenir shopping already since there was a souvenir shop here selling Kit Kat with Tokyo Banana flavour. Thank goodness I thought I could only get this at Tokyo station.

I thought I could have an early night today to prepare for Disneysea tomorrow. Unexpectedly, the laundry dryer was not working up to my expectations. I thought the dryer would be as good as what I had in PGP. Haiz.. It took me 80 minutes (4 cycles) to dry everything up and that was after I decided to separate the jeans from the t-shirts. My fault for not paying attention to the estimation pasted on the machines.

No comments: