Friday, October 27, 2017

First test of leadership

After thinking about the matter over last weekend, I finally decided to open my mouth and break my silence to my team members. I worried that I would end up scolding them but I think I did pretty well to remain calm despite my strongly worded speech and threats.

I do not want to micromanage and I give everyone flexibility, autonomy, and authority in hope that everyone will take their own initiative to help to manage branch operations and staff. Sadly the reality is just like the famous internet story:
"This is a story about four people named Everybody, Somebody, Anybody and Nobody. There was an important job to be done and Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. Somebody got angry about that, because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Anybody could do it, but Nobody realized that Everybody wouldn’t do it. It ended up that Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have."

So I gave everyone 1 last month of chance. If everyone remains bo chup, clearly the current method does not work. I will have to be more dictatorial and start rostering, putting everyone as the responsible person for certain things, demand updates, and make own decisions. It sounds more work to be wanting to be in control of all aspects but it is better to take control to prevent things from getting haywire instead of current state that eventually I need to take control but usually after things are haywire because the people who are supposed to be responsible are just bo chup.

Not an easy thing to have this kind of difficult talk but I am glad that I did it. I remain truthful to my principle to be open about things instead of hiding them and then only air all the dirty laundry during appraisal.

I am so tired with work and life in general. With limited time, there is just so much that I can do and certain things have to give away. Gym definitely affects the time and activity that I am left with after work. But I guess gym is a good activity, better than gaming, and better than to continue working at home. My CPIP final presentation is in exactly 4 weeks time and I am so screwed. I don't even have time to analyse the data so far. Don't even talk about slides, results, costings, etc. Die liao la.

Things are a bit slack in the past 2 days as I am away for course at Jurong. I made use of the lunch time to walk around Westgate and JEM and I finally decided to buy new working pants. I bought Kando Pants from Uniqlo at $59.90. It is expensive but I am desperate as one my newer pants were 'burnt' by the lady who ironed my clothes and already has a hole. I made special effort to get it at Plaza Singapura so that I can get capita star points. All the time and special effort made were wasted as in the end I forgot to scan the receipt. Stupid me :(

No comments: