Saturday, October 12, 2013

Harmony Kingdom: Fabulous Five Out For A Drive

When we talk about Disney, how can we forget about the main Disney characters such as Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Goofy, and Pluto? It is certainly peculiar that Harmony Kingdom chose to feature them as the second figurine from the Disney series. The first one is Winnie the Pooh, by the way. It was released in 1997 and limited to 7489 pieces. Robert King is credited as the artist and the figurine is made in England with original retail price of USD 95. The 4.06" x 3.74" x 3.74" figurine is housed in a 6.1" diameter and 7.2" tall cylinder.

Unfortunately, I got a broken figurine with Goofy's nose missing. I was not careful in checking the seller's pictures as it was actually already broken right from the start. Sigh.. I guess it was by chance that the photo was against dark background that I did not realise Goofy was nose-less. Although it was advertised as "new", if I knew Goofy was without nose, I would definitely not buy this!
Front view.. Nobody is looking to the front though!
Back view and the Disney logo
Pluto and Donald
  
 Goofy and Mickey
Can't get a nice picture of Minnie
Harmony Kingdom logo
Extra tire as a surprise.. Not really a surprise
The base 
Putting aside Goofy's missing nose, I still feel "MEH" about this figurine. Firstly, I don't think there is a thing called Fabulous Five in Disney. Since they already squeeze in these guys, they might as well add Daisy and Chip and Dale to the already overcrowded car. At least we will have the full main Disney cast!

While the sculpt itself is great: cheerful Pluto, grumpy Donald, ah-hyuckish Goofy, pretty Minnie, and normal Mickey (oops sorry Mickey, can't find an adjective for you.. Lol), I have problems with the car. Does this car have some special place in Disney history? No idea why they would put the setting of a car for this piece although they earn brownie points from me for having the spare tyre with the same colour as the other 4 tyres. On top of that, I hate how the characters are all looking at different direction which makes it difficult to choose an angle for display. Goofy seems to be speaking to Mickey but Mickey's eyes are looking at Minnie although his face and mouth are facing Goofy. I thought that is a mess and I have no idea what story they are trying to depict with this figurine.

So yeah, this figurine is a miss for me.

No comments: