Thursday, August 16, 2012

Olympics 2012 Part 2

As promised, this is my entry about the second half of the Olympics 2012. Firstly, lets start with tennis. With the exciting Wimbledon final between Roger Federer and Andy Murray a few weeks before the Olympics, the Olympics final between the two was definitely worth watching too. It is another difficult choice to make. On one side, I was cheering for Fed Express. He, perhaps, is the greatest tennis player ever born. Despite the many grand slams, he had never won an Olympics medal before. I thought it would be nice for him to complete his career. On the other side, it had been ages before England produced any winner in home land, particularly in Wimbledon. Well, even though Olympics final is not Wimbledon, it was played at the same court. And it was quite heartbreaking to watch Murray's Wimbledon loss too. Anyway, this time congrats to Murray because he got the gold. And congrats for Federer to accept his loss graciously by saying that at least he had a taste of winning an Olympics medal, albeit a silver. And it was a bit of waste that Murray lost his mixed double final for a silver -__-

No idea why Murray looked like the loser and Federer looked like the victor here
For the female side, the Williams sisters are still dominating after all these years with them winning their 3rd consecutive Olympics gold for female doubles and for Serena to win gold for the singles.

Since they rose to stardom, I could never distinguish which is Serena and which is Venus.
Moving on the track, the lightning Bolt struck again, not once, not twice but thrice in the 100m sprint, 200m sprint, and 4x100m relay. That put him in history books to be the first man to retain 100m and 200m gold in 2 consecutive Olympics. Well done for that considering all the skepticism surrounding him at the heats. No doubt that he is a great athlete but one thing which totally puts me off: his arrogance with him calling himself great etc. Urrgh..


Lastly, diving! Nope, I did not actually hear much about the diving prodigy (Tom Daley) successfully won individual bronze for 10m dive. The one which made the most splash (pun intended) last week was Stephan Feck and his failed diving. Ouch.. Based on the close ups, apparently he got a bit of problems in bending his knees/legs while performing his somersault. He landed on his back and I could not imagine how painful it was. Not to mention all the "humiliation" with people labeling it as the worst dive or the most embarassing dive bla bla bla.. Thank goodness it was a 3m dive. No idea what would happen if it was a 10m dive. Anyway, I thought it was quite hilarious when I read an article by Yahoo! which mentioned "What the Feck" in the news about this. Haha.. Anyway, I think people should not be that bad. Among all the water sports, I think swimming is the most exciting to watch while diving is the most "difficult" for me to watch. I just can't fathom how these people overcome the height and perform acrobatics which most people do not even dare to do in their dream. I always cringe at the various twists and somersaults.. It does scare me to think how accidents can always happen like the diver hitting the plank or slipped from the plank.. A sport not for the faint hearted.



I thought Olympics 2012 started great.. Unfortunately it ended quite in a bad taste for me. I had high expectations for Spice Girls performance especially after I saw the pictures. Posh looked hot on the taxi roof! Haha.. Sadly, the performance turned out to be quite rubbish. They butchered the songs :( They were screaming and shouting instead of singing.. Sad.. considering Spice Up Your Life is actually my favourite. And although usually I think Mel C has the best voice among them, her voice screwed up the whole performance this time as it did not blend well with the rest. And the action on the taxi roof was also -_- I have seen J Pop singers singing on bus roof around the concert hall from many years ago leh!


And damn you Olympic channel for disallowing video viewing from non-Youtube sources. Might as well you remove that "embed" and "share" function!

No comments: