Sunday, June 10, 2012

Which way?

The meet-the-management session has been more or less settled. It will be on 27th June unless something else pops out. Although it sounds as an introduction and "hi-bye" session, what my intuition tells me will be coming true. It will be a session in which I have to more or less say what I want to do at work. Or specifically, which way I wanna go: clinical track vs operations track.

Honestly, I don't know. I think I have no preference. I have things which I like and dislike on both tracks and that makes choosing even more difficult. It is easier to say what I DON'T like than to say what I actually like. 

By doing clinical track, that means I have to study and study and study. I don't mind studying. But based on my experience for ACC course which I am doing, what I cannot stand is me being stupid. There is just too much to learn and it is difficult to memorise things which I don't really see in my daily work. That's one thing. One thing which I totally hate about going clinical is the fact that sooner or later I have to go to hospital for rotations/enrichments etc. Frankly, no matter what hospitals, I just loathe the idea of going to any of them. After all, it is a place full of arrogant people thinking that they are better than others. The perks of going clinical is of course more time to run clinic or do nursing homes etc, which means less time to face angry unreasonable nasty customers. Other than that, I will get Masters which facilitates my ultimate aim to teach somewhere in the future.

By doing operations track, that means I don't need to study (YAY!). The bad thing is that I need to spend time with people I don't wish to face. Not to mention that I don't believe in good customer service to those who do not deserve it so how am I supposed to handle complaints? Sigh.. Going ops also means no further degree for me and I don't know whether it is a disadvantage for my future teaching plans. The good things about ops is that it gives me more opportunities and experience which is not "fixed" to healthcare. That means I may be able to go out of this field and do something else unrelated. If it helps me to acquire management skills etc, I don't mind since I don't foresee myself getting scolded and showered by saliva for the rest of my working life. Yep I don't mind going HQ someday and just sit around, shake hands, and sign papers. Lol..

Since the current trend for to push people towards clinical, that leaves a hole on the ops. Since the clinical people will be too busy and are required to run the whole thing, who will do the managing etc? With this I think it makes sense for me to ops. Let the others run the thing and I will be the one above them commanding them eh? Haha..

Anyways, joking aside, if I am asked what I really like to do, I think my calling is in teaching/training. My colleague suggested that instead of focusing on teaching/training PTs, I should look towards educating other healthcare professionals for whatever things related to pharmacy. A good idea actually. I believe in interprofessional relations. I think that currently most pharmacists are too self-centred, they think by constantly increasing their skills (whatever skills they want to call it), they can change people's mindset. I don't believe it. I think we should go out, get along and get to know others. Hopefully, we can build more understanding towards what one another do so that we do not sabotage one another. As my colleague is doing the public education, I think I should not compete for the same pie to improve public's perception on pharmacy. I will be happy to do the other side: to improve other professional's perception. Both involve talking so I don't mind HAHA. My friend also suggested to take a role regarding projects. Currently the person in charge of projects is someone out of the field. It is a huge headache talking to him as he does not understand the situations faced in our daily work. Come to think of it, it will be best if the project department has people on both in and out of the field. I understand about the daily work but I know nuts about how to plan/run projects. I can complement him who know nuts about daily work but know a lot about planning/running projects. Cool eh?

Lets see what happen in 3 weeks time ah. Haha.. Plenty of time for me to pray for God to lead me to the correct path.

No comments: