Thursday, May 3, 2012

Marvel Avengers


I just watched this last night and it really blew me away. After years of hype (there were hints about possible Avengers at the end of ending credit of previous Marvel movies) and anticipation, the movie does not disappoint and it exceeds expectations. At the beginning, it is quite slow. I was bored as I had no idea what the heck terresact is and who the hell is talking to Loki at the beginning. The part where Nick Fury starts assembling the members are kinda predictable. They gotta be gathered together somehow. But after that, I had full adrenaline rush through the end. Phew.. I could feel my ears hot and flushing.

To be frank, I was skeptical about the movie. Looking at the cast of this movie, I expect it to be boring, just physical brawl and fist fights. Hulk -> physical brawl, rage, smack here, smash there. Thor -> Whack everything with his Mjolnir. Hawkeye -> come on, how "interesting" can shooting arrow be? Black Widow -> She is a spy who definitely relies on stealth. Captain America -> Throw shield and just fist fight. I prefer a lot of computer animation depicting superpower impossible to find in real life. That is why I thought this would be worse than X-men or Fantastic Four. Plus the fact that I find the concept of 6 heroes vs 1 antagonist is kinda lame. I prefer team vs team fight ala X-men. Ok perhaps it is just me and my biasness with Storm lol (Anyway I thought X-men 3 is shit. And I don't quite enjoy X-men the First Class because of the less mainstream mutants there)

I have a fetish of women fighting. But since Black Widow is the only girl here, oh well, there won't be much girl. And too be honest, I don't think she is pretty. Perhaps she looks better in long hair.. I don't understand her angsty expresison throughout the movie. One less appeal for me.

With 6 superheroes fighting for screentime, I was expecting this to be IronMan or Captain America and friends kind of movie. Just 2 main characters and the rest are just there to fill the hype. But the director are damn good. Seriously, I think more or less everyone gets similar share of the cake. Nobody seems to be more important or stronger or better than the rest. Everyone has their contribution. In fact, I find it surprising that in the end, it is Black Widow who "personally" closes the portal to the other world while Captain America is like doing nothing (oh well, too bad he can't fly). The depiction of teamwork really fulfils the idea of the Avengers, a team of superheroes working together, not a hero with his/her sidekicks. For this alone, I already regard this movie as being good.

On top of that, the script is great. It feels like a half-comedy from countless witty conversations and banters that the characters have. Some scenes are plain hilarious, funny, but yet believable and do not feel forced just to make people laugh. I guess that what makes them even funnier.

I have been watching tonnes of shit movies lately so watching a good movie like this feels like damn good. And it is quite rare for Marvel movies to be good. I personally never enjoy the "solo" movies. I never watch Hulk, Daredevil, Elektra, Wolverine Origins, IronMan I & II, Spiderman I-III, etc. I always prefer the group ones. And this is the other superheroes movie I really enjoy after X-men 2 and Fantastic 4 The Rise of Silver Surfer. X-men the First Class is not too bad story-wise but I just think the superpowers there are kinda lame (and the hot Emma Frost did not get to fight!).

So overall, I think the movie is just plain Marvel-ous!

No comments: