Friday, April 20, 2012

Sayonara my Playstation 1

Everyone in the house, except me, is garbage collector. They like to keep things which are no longer working, useful, fit, etc. I am infamous as the "rich" guy who always throw away things. That is only PARTIALLY true. I am extremely loyal to my items provided that they are not broken yet (or can be fixed if already broken) and I am foreseeing a future in which I am making use of them.

Today is an extremely sad day for me. After so many years, I finally played my PS1 again. You do not see the a wrong number there. Yes is is a ONE, not a 2 or a 3. I am glad that it is still working. However, I am extremely sad to find that the joystick is dead. Sigh, if only I played it on previous holidays, perhaps I would still be able to get a replacement :(, just like how I managed to replace the A/V cable. 

I actually still have another joystick. I regret why I did not buy more that time. Sigh.. Where is the fun to play Chocobo Racing alone :( The other joystick was for player 2. Yes, for my sister. It is funny how the 2P controller which is hardly played got spoilt very quickly and this is like the 3rd or the 4th one. The 1P controller, ironically, has never been replaced yet. Yup, that 1P controller is mine right from the first time. It is a miracle that it survived my rough manhandling for such a long time and only died when neglected for few years.

I tried searching on local forums and shops but nil. Not even a second hand one. There are some on eBay but the price is really not worth it :( Together with the shipping, it is almost $15. Buying a second hand PS1 full set is about $25. No I am not planning to get another set just to get the controller. I'm left with 2 options: fix my spoilt one or beg and hope that some of my friends donate their still-working-but-not-played controller anymore. I *think* I saw some shops in Pontianak still selling PS1 controller. Not sure if they are really for PS1. I am banking on my cousin to help me, or perhaps my sister is she is travelling there soon.

Anyway, I think I need to learn to let go these material things. Nothing lasts forever. Sigh.. Next on the list is my cassettes :( The cassette player is like half dead. Pressing the "play" button is like a lottery. It may take numerous tries before the cassette really plays. Haiz..

The hard thing is really the sentimental value. Not that as if I still have so much time to play my PS1 anymore. But oh well, I got it in 1999 (I still kept the original receipt! Zomg!). It is more than 10 years old already. It is a teenager now. Its childhood accompanied my teenage years.. Very difficult to just say goodbye.. When it is time to throw it, I believe my mum will tease me "Imagine if all these are money, you can keep it and use it now". Personally, I prefer these to money. After all, they filled my growing years. And all that memories are priceless.

Picture time.. Pardon the lousy focus. Too lazy to settle the dumb phone.
Not bad for something which is almost 13 years old right?
Except for the A/V cable, everything is what came from 1999. Yes including that blue plastic wrapper and the PS wrapper. Gamesharks were donation from a cousin.
GOSH! I still have the receipt. Bought in 30/05/99 for Rp 1.360.000,-
Actually my dad and sister bought it for me as a surprise. And my sister chose 15 lousy free games
Memory cards #1, #2, #3, #4, that's how I remember them. The bottom ones are gifts from my cousin in US. I think the 2 without tags are still empty.
RPG Games
Strategy and Fighting games
Miscellaneous games
Game walthroughs. Not including tonnes of game magazines which I keep for the game sections.
List of games which I keep:
1) Final Fantasy Origins/Final Fantasy I & II (Final Fantasy II is untouched)
2) Final Fantasy Chronicles/Final Fantasy IV + Chrono Trigger (Chrono Trigger is untouched)
3) Final Fantasy Anthology/Final Fantasy V + VI
4) Final Fantasy VII
5) Final Fantasy VIII (my favourite game!)
6) Final Fantasy IX (froze at the end of disc 3, lucky I still could proceed to disc 4)
7) Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete Demo
8) Lunar The Silver Star Story Complete (my another favourite RPG!)
9) Lunar Eternal Blue
10) Chrono Cross (nice character graphics!)
11) Star Ocean The Second Story (still never really play as Rena)
12) Suikoden I
13) Suikoden II (I still can't complete the Muku Muku's family members)
14) Tales of Destiny II
15) Thousand Arms (one of the more unique type of RPG)
16) Breath of Fire
17) Legend of Legaia (untouched)
18) Legend of Mana (untouched)
19) Wild Arms 2 (never play finish)
20) Xenogears (untouched.. although people say it is one of the best RPGs for PS1)
21) Arc the Lad collection/Arc the Lad I, II, III (only played the first game)
22) Rhapsody (first RPG with female lead.. Haha.. Nice songs though)
23) Saiyuki: Journey to the West (untouched!)
24) Eternal Eyes (I *think* I completed it. No memory of what the story is about though)
25) Valkyrie Profile (nice artwork and music, first game with adventure component which I cleared)

26) Brigandine (fun to play magic-based kingdom represented with green colour)
27) Final Fantasy Tactics
28) Hoshigami (too tough to complete)
29) Vanguard Bandits (one of my first few games but one of the ones played last)
30) Romance of the Three Kingdom VI (this introduced me to Sam Kok)
31) Tekken I
32) Tekken II
33) Tekken III (Hwoarang kick! Yeah.. Perhaps the only arcade game which I enjoyed)
34) Mortal Kombat Trilogy
35) Mortal Kombat 4
36) Gundam Battle Assault (the mechas are so "stiff")
37) Gundam Battle Assault 2 (still "stiff")
38) Kidou Butouden W Gundam: The Battle (still "stiff" but oh well, it's my favourite Gundam Wing!)
39) Kidou Butouden G Gundam: The Battle (I conclude that all gundam fighting games are "stiff"!)
40) Samurai Deeper Kyo
41) Inu Yasha Sengoku Battle
42) X: The Chosen Fate (perhaps the only Japanese fighting game I enjoy)
43) Ergheiz
44) Digimon I (never get past first location)
45) Digimon II (much better than the first one.. Left with the bonus dungeon!)
46) Digimon Rumble Arena (trust me this is a better fighting game than Gundams)
47) Digimon Digital Card Battle (impossible to get 100% card collection sigh..)
48) Harvest Moon (a huge craze even to my non-gamer sister)
49) Vagrant Story (untouched!)
50) The Eagle Shooting Heroes (in Mandarin! and I finished it. Haha..)

51) Chocobo Dungeon 2 (tried a bit but got bored with it)
52) Chocobo Racing (family's favourite)
53) Looney Toons Racing (well, I love Bugs Bunny.. no way in comparison to Chocobo Racing)
54) Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix (I used this for dieting)
55) Dance Dance Revolution Disney Rave (It's A Small World~~)
56) 3Xtreme
57) Space Jam (I love Bugs Bunny. The only Basketball game I ever play)
58) Klonoa Volley Ball (the only volleyball game I ever play)
59) Cardcaptor Sakura Tetris (bonus from a game magazine)
60)  Spice World (I have no idea how to play it but it's Spice Girls so.. keep it!)

61) Suikogaiden I (I like Suikoden I and II but I wonder if I will ever play this)
62) Suikogaiden II (I like Suikoden I and II but I wonder if I will ever play this)
63) Harlem Beat: You're the One (the only Japanese simulation game I completed to get the pictures because I am a huge fan of the manga)

Huhuhu.. I am depressed.. This is very very sad T_T Sob sob...

No comments: