Wednesday, March 14, 2012

WICKED

I watched Wicked on Saturday. I had always wanted to watch it but I would not do so if my friend did not ask me to. I watched the advertisement for a few times and it looked gorgeous. But my interest was just that far. Haha.. I mean I am not really into music and singing, and I also never read Wizard of Oz. That's why I was very cheapskate and like "Hmm okay I don't mind giving it a try for a Broadway experience". So we bought the cheapest tickets ($58) and we were seated exactly at the last row of the grand circle! Haha..

Firstly, I am extremely disappointed with the place! I had high expectation for Marina Bay Sands after all the hoo-hah about the integrated resorts. The theatre hall was way too warm. It seemed like they only switched on the aircon (yep the airon was at the ceiling above my seat) for few minutes after the start of the show and the intermission. It was very warm. In fact, the toilet was even more cooling. Secondly, I thought the sound system was bad. Even cinemas have surround sound system. Grrah.. Well I used to work in my university's concert hall and as ushers, we had to ensure that the hall temperature to be comfortable. The sound system was also much better. After all, I could hear CNBlue concert even from outside.

Moving on to the show itself, I think I had a great time. Hoho.. Overloaded with green and black which are my favourite colours!! No wonder I am wicked eh? Haha.. Someone bring me to Emerald City please! The souvenirs were pricey but I managed to resist temptations. That green potion water bottle made me salivating.. And the umbrella was just tempting!! Roar!!!

I found the first half entertaining, although relatively quite empty in terms of plot. It just revolved around the school days of the two witches. So yup, just normal things which even happened in normal schools. During the intermission, I asked my friend what the story of Wizard of Oz. I was like -__-" It was about a group of weirdoes (Tinman, Lion, Scarecrow) led by this Dorothy girl who eventually defeated the wicked witch by splashing water. Jeez.. How lame.. It was quite a surprise that Wizard was nothing more than a liar. My expectation was that since the title of the book is Wizard of Oz then the Wizard is something good or great. Lol.

But upon knowing the original plot, I thought the story (the second half) was brilliant. It was nice to know how the Tinman, Lion, and Scarecrow originated and how this Wicked story and the Wizard of Oz story are related.

Overall, while I had fun and good laugh, I thought the story could be improved. And *spoiler alert*, I was quite happy that Elphaba did not actually die. I think she is the only character which can be considered good in the story. The rest is actually wicked in some ways or others. And this brings me to the best quote at the start of the show: 

Are people born wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?

No comments: