Saturday, February 4, 2012

Proposal Daisakusen + SP


Synopsis:
Iwase Ken and Yoshida Rei are childhood friends who falls in love with each other. Unfortunately, neither is being honest. Rei is about to get married to another man. As the slides showing various photos from their older times together, Ken is hit with great sense of regret and disappointment. A fairy suddenly appeared and took pity of Ken. He gave Ken a chance to re-visit his past for a second chance to capture the heart of the girl he loves.

The SP took place 1 year after the TV series. Ken and friends are in Hawaii to for Tsuru and Eri's wedding. At the last minute, Eri disappears because she feels that Tsuru is growing distant for the past few months. The Fairy suddenly appeared to let Ken travel back to the past one more time to help his friends' marriage... as well as to fix his relationship with Rei and her parents.

My opinion:
The English title is "Operation Love" which I think is very cute and unique. To be honest, I was bored for the first few episodes. The same scenario keeps being repeated with Ken promising to declare his love (before travelling to the past), Ken failing to declare his love (while in the past), Ken noticing only slight changes in the present (when returning to the present), and there you go. It was only mid-way when changes (from what Ken did while travelling to past) are felt in the present, that things start to get interesting. It is a good plot that Mikio (Ken's friend) actually realised that Ken could travel to the past. And it can become confusing when both present and past Mikio could actually help Ken in his "mission". The usual "rule" for time travel stories is not to let anybody know that you come from the past or future or else it will result in the present being messed up. And this "rule" is not followed here.

The end may be cliche/boring as it involves the bride running away on the wedding day. However, I guess there is no other choice. After all, Ken decides to change the present rather than changing the past. Although it results in the same old endings, it is a good message for many of us: do not dwell in the past, live in the present and change your future. Do not wait until tomorrow what you can do today.

One thing I find lame is that as the episode progresses, Yamapi's acting for the "Hallelujah Chance!" and for the parts where he is blinded by the spotlight as the fairy appears feel less and less sincere. Looks like the jokes are getting old.

The SP is surprisingly good too! Initially, my thought was "What The Hell!". How come the focus of the story is not the main couple? But again, it is a good plot that Ken somehow is able to solve his own problem through helping his friend's problem. One thing I am disappointed is that it does not end with Ken and Rei's wedding. Aaauu... Oh ya, I was expecting something between Tada-sensei and his childhood friend. What is the point of introducing "her" character if eventually nothing is built up on that? Nah nah..

One more praise for the storywriter is about the absence of antagonist characters here. Even the love rivalry is not as typical of other love stories with jealousy, stab-in-the-back, lies, or dirty tricks. It shows that you can still write a good story with all good characters. Thumbs up for that. The actors are also belivable. Their personality also matures as they progress from high school students, university students, and ultimately working adults. It is of course heartening to see that when they are together, they can always act as if they are still high school students. And that's what friendship is all about, there is no need to be fake.

My afterthoughts:
As much as I am frustrated with Ken from watching this, I thought I am no different from him. I find it very hard to tell someone that I like her. At this rate, how am I ever gonna get a girlfriend? :( I really admire couples, you know. I guess it is not easy to be honest with each other, especially at the beginning. Sigh.. I am still not ready with possible changes that come along with changes from being friends to being a couple. Rrraaah!

I still to learn how to let go of the past and try to change the future by changing the present. Sigh.. Sometimes I still wish that I can still travel to the past, to do things differently, although I wonder what things I would change.

No comments: