Thursday, January 13, 2011

Interviews

I have been busy with 4 interviews for the past few days, not that I prepared a lot of things anyway. Haha.. but I guess it is good to make some reflections. I shall try to make things as vague and obscure as possible for confidentiality. Lol. Since the pharmacy world is damn small, it's good not to say bad things since I never know I will join any of these institutions in the future. Hahaha... The numbers reflect the interview orders, not my priority or any other classification ranking whatsoever.

Site #1
I actually consider this my 'first' choice since long time ago. Perhaps it is because I did a stint here before. The interview was quite fun and enjoyable. It started with standard interview questions and I thought 10mins were sufficient because all the 'normal' interview questions were completed by then. In the end, it went on and on for 40mins. Haha.. We were talking about many (random) stuffs including the meaning of my e-mail :p

Site #2
I had a mixed feeling about this one. For a few times, I had a feeling that I should just call them to cancel the interview because I was not interested. Out of courtesy, I went for it eventually. I clocked an amazing 50mins of interview! Oh gosh! Actually it felt more of a chit chat session rather than an interview. In fact, the interviewer talked more than I did. But she is a very nice person. She knows what the company is doing and she gave a very good explanations on every questions which I posed. And I guess there is an advantage of being a foreigner: the interviewer may be distracted and ask me random things about my background, where I live(d), where I studied, etc. All of us who went there waited for everyone to be over. We were entertaining ourselves outside by timing how long each of us took. Haha..

Site #3
To be honest, I had the strong urge to call the person and cancel this one. I was not impressed with a 3 hour interview plus some stupid group activities. Come on! That's a very stupid way to judge leadership and teamwork. Everyone would just put up a fake attempt to show enthusiasm bla bla bla.. Again, I still went for it out of courtesy. I was very impressed with the hospitality shown by the HR actually. She knew I had another interview later on so she offered me some snacks to fill my stomach. And if it was not because of her suggestion of some flyover, I would definitely be late for my next one.. Anyway, the interviewer said my reasoning for my choices were weird haha.. Oh well, I am always weird! If there is something I took home, it would be from the clinical questions posed. Firstly, it was about malaria (urgh!). Now I know Lariam is to be taken once weekly, starting 1 week before travelling (my guess which turned out to be correct), and to be continued on for 4 weeks after return (I was initially sure about it being 2 weeks! Lol). The second question was drugs for post-MI patients. I don't really care ba.. since I am not interested in hospital haha..

Site #4
This was my trump card! Haha.. Everyone who asked me to prioritise my choices fell silent when I explained that I could not rank because one of my choices (this one!) was a big question mark! And all of them apparently agreed with me. Lol. Nobody knows what is going on here. None of them could tell me any suggestion/input. They could only advise: just go ahead and see how it is. I got called 'weird' for the second time, again for the same reason. But oh well, I felt kinda crazy to actually go for an interview and telling them: if you can't meet my demand, please just reject me. Haha

So how did I decide? To be frank, I had no priority whatsoever because I don't even feel like doing this. But I have no choice.. I need the license so I need to go through this "rite of passage". Making the decision was very tough because none was perfect for me..

If site #4 were to take me, I would accept, partly because I want to know what happen inside. So few people know so I am very curious. Thank goodness they rejected me. I would actually be more worried if they accepted me! Haha.. At the end of the day, I think all hospitals are the same.. And it is just not a place for me. I tried to ask how different this hospital is from other and the person told me long stories, beat around the bush.. the garden.. the forest, and at the end of all the grandma stories, I still did not get the answer. Lol.. come on.. just tell me the truth if the pharmacists were just dispensers over there since you all have no balls to stand against the consultants whatsoever ma... No need to hide it.. Lol.. So yeah, my conclusion is all hospitals are the same.. and so are the people working there..

Site #3 was out from the start.. Haha.. well what did you expect? I did not even feel like going for it. To be honest, I just hate the corporate culture.. Seems like everyone is forced to compete and stab one another kind of working environment.. so that is not my cup of tea..

Site #1 has an option of 4 working days! That is the biggest pulling factor for me! Hell yeah I WANNA SLACK or call it I wanna have a work-life balance.. Site #2 has 5.5 working days (ouch) but to compensate it, it seems that they are very nice people who are really interested in training noobs like me! Plus, everyone who had experience the place is full of praises. I called many people for 3.5-4hours non-stop to decide..

My verdict was TWO! 2 is my favourite number but that is not my reason! It is all thanks to the stupid bitch on my last preceptorship. Thinking of the worst case scenario possible, I would not want to spend time with another bitch, just the two of us, for MONTHS. That is what will happen in site #1. I don't know whether I will get a bitch there, but just be safe haha.. In site #2, even if I get another nasty person, at least there are other people in that branch. Unless I am so unlucky to have everyone at that branch to be nasty. Haha..

I have few other reasons actually. I know I hate hospitals and I won't work at hospitals in the future. I experienced retail before and I know I can take it.. I don't mind doing there in the future.. So I am telling myself, just give a try for another spectrum of the pharmacy career options. Then I would have a fuller understanding of all aspects and next time I can wisely choose where I wanna work for long term.

Actually going anywhere is equally scary.. I don't know what lies ahead of me.. I can only hope and pray that things will go smoothly.. I meet nice people who can help and guide me along the way.. etc.. I know the coming Rabbit year will not be a nice one to me but oh well, life goes on.. Anyway it's just for a freaking 9 MONTHS!

No comments: