Sunday, November 28, 2010

My phones

Since I am rather bored and I am really tempted to get a new phone, I shall 'crap' about the history of phones that I used to own. Lol..

Nokia 3350
This is my first phone. I bought it in  May (or June) 2002 after I completed my junior high school. The price was slightly less than Rp 1.500.000,- (about less than S$ 250 at current exchange rate). Not too fantastic but I don't hate it either. I like the blue case colour (as compared to metallic grey 3310/3330 which was very popular at that time). The highlight of this phone is the backlight which can flicker according to the ringtones, something which was very new and exciting at that time. Ah the vibration varies according to the ringtones too. The vibration and backlight are not monotonous. They literally vary differently for different songs! Other than that, the rest is the same with other phones at that time: black writing + yellow light, 12 inbox + 12 outbox + 9 picture messages, snake + pinball + spaceship shooting games, music composer, notes, alarm, calculator etc. Haha I mention the things that I can remember or features that I often use.

I used the phone for 4+ years before the battery failed. Too bad by that time, Nokia was not even selling the original battery. I used a fake battery which only lasted for 3 days. Lol.. Anyway, as it was dying, its capability started to diminish from: can only be used to sms (for phone calls, the phone had to be charged at the same time) and as alarm until it cannot be used to make calls at all and it did not even have the power to ring the alarm. Before it rested in peace, I changed the casing to Mickey Mouse in the hope of making it more loveable. Anyway since I have 2 sim cards in Singapore, I kept this phone for my spare sim card. I kept this phone until this year (when I got a new phone) and then I shipped this back to my parents for them to do whatever they deem fit. Lol..

Overall, I am fine with this phone. My only unhappiness was: the original casing glitter flaked off, the print on the keypad faded, and the screen became 'cloudy' even with a screen protector. But in all, I am satisfied :D

Sony Ericsson K800i
My second phone which also happens to be my FAVOURITE phone. I bought it in  Feb 2007, right before I had to go back to Singapore to collect my A level results. I bought it not too long after its release so it was quite expensive. Rp. 3.200.000,- (about S$ 500 at current exchange rate). It was considered expensive and my dad refused to pay for it. My mum bought it for me.

Since I had no digital camera, I always wanted a phone with a nice camera. At that time, this 3.2MP camera phone was the best (although unfortunately a few months later, there was another K series with 5MP camera)! Everyone in my house mocked this phone as a 'brick' since it is quite bulky and thick.

Anyway, I love it so much. This is considered a flagship phone by Sony Ericsson at that time and thus every aspect of it is damn good. I love the camera, it has lens cover, the alarm has auto snooze, the speaker is not too bad, the tennis + golf + diving games are good time killers (even up to now!), I downloaded many themes to make the phone even more loveable, and many other things. I know it is not fair to compare it with my previous phone (the technology was too wide in gap) but the vast upgrade from earlier generation really makes this phone a 'part of my life'. I use almost every feature in this phone, except the video call. Lol. Waste money in my opinion. The camera is so good that I brought it to Australia, Thailand, Cambodia, and Korea as a substitute for a digicam which I never have.

Still, I have a few complaints haha.. After a few years, the rubber parts sort of 'died'. They become very sticky and dust loves to adhere to it. The camera is terrible in low light (my expectation is too high I guess,. Come on, it's a phone! not a camera, what do I expect?!). And the joypad was kinda spoilt after few months, although that was partly because I was a hardcore gamer for the first few months. Lol. But after all I am very very satisfied with this. After 3 years, it is still up and running well, although now it becomes my 'spare' phone. I still used it to listen to music and the alarm. In these 2 aspects, this K800i is even better than my current phone! Unbeliavable right..

Although the battery life starts to decrease, it is still doing well. And the best part is: even now Sony Ericsson is still producing the battery (and it is still costly at $$70+ each). I guess this phone still has a long way to go ^o^

Nokia C6
July 2010. My most 'memorable' phone. It lasted LESS THAN 12hours for me! Gosh..  Record breaking. People always say Nokia is lousy when you see how their service centre is always crowded everyday. I decided to give it a try.. I tried my luck and it was bad luck.. In the 3G era, most phones go for the touch screen etc. Unfortunately, I am still old fashioned. Haha.. I use my phone primarily for sms and there is no way I can survive with touch screen. That's why I got hooked to this phone. It has touch screen and keyboard. Nokia's touch screen is good and sensitive (that's a good point!). And this was cheaper than other phones with sliding keyboard (only S$ 98 with contract).

Too bad this is a piece of junk to me. It could not even perform as a phone for me. I don't know whether I was unlucky to get a faulty set or Nokia just sucks. Firstly, its reception is poor. Other phones are doing well in my room but not this one. The speaker is terrible. Even with a full signal, I could not hear what the other person was talking about. With that, don't even talk about 'smartphone' capability, this phone cannot even perform as a phone i.e to make phone calls! In addition, the phone is very laggy. It takes forever to display photos and messages (gosh I could not take it!). And the QWERTY keyboard is poorly designed. The first row is too close to the screen part that when you are typing, your fingers are obstructed by the other half of the phone.

The only thing I can praise is the feature to customise the desktop with various icons and shortcuts (though I was super pissed that the phone always automatically connected to GPRS when any internet related shortcuts are put on the standby). I exchanged the phone to other model.. I just don't dare to take the risk (after all the bad experiences my friends have with various Nokia phones). So yeah, now I am done with Nokia too although (again I repeat) I don't know whether I was unlucky to get a faulty set.

Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro
Should I consider this my 4th or 3rd phone?? Hmm... Anyway this replaced the stupid Nokia C6. The same reasoning applies, I need to sms so I need a keyboard since I cannot 'tahan' touch screen. This cost me S$198 (with contract). The camera is 5MP so it is an upgrade from my previous K800i :D For the sake of keyboard, I sacrificed an extra 3MP camera capability (Sony Ericsson Vivaz has no keyboard but it boasts 8MP camera!).

To be honest, other than the camera (well, as expected from Sony, good cameras ^^) , I don't quite like this phone. It is Symbian and guess who made Symbian? Yeah, that sucky Nokia -_-" I hated the menu etc. I owned this phone for less than 6 months and it hang for more times than my 3.5 years old K800i. Thanks to Symbian. The media (photo viewing) load time is fast. And that's all the good thing about it.

So what are my complaints? Firstly, it has no lens cover and it has a poor positioning of the lens. It is unnatural for me to hold it in such a way so as not to touch the lens (lousy deign!). So for normal usages, it is inconvenient! Secondly, its display of portrait and landscape pictures sucks! Too hard to describe. But when you hold the phone in a portrait manner, it will display all the pictures as portrait, even for landscape pictures. Thus you will see only the middle part of the landscape pictures. When you hold the phone in landscape manner, the portrait pictures are 90degrees slanted. Gosh. Terrible. Thirdly, the speakers (referring to songs, not to phone calls) suck. Forthly, the back cover is made of flimsy plastic material. It makes the phone feels cheap.. And it feels that it can snap anytime everytime I take off the back cover. Gosh.. Lastly, the battery kinda sucks. I gotta charge it once every 3 days and I don't go online/wireless/bluetooth etc. Bah.. I had no idea why it has a green light which is always flickering and maybe that sucks the battery! Oh don't forget, my unhappiness about Symbian is in the previous paragraph. Lol.

In all, this phone, at best, is just a phone for me. Make calls, send sms-es, take photos, and that's it. In fact, it is still quite inconvenient for a normal phone since I have to take special care in order not to touch the lens. For alarm, notes, and any other things, ironically I am still using my K800i. I guess that really highlights the difference between FLAGSHIP and non-flagship phones ba.. The company really put effort for flagship phones in a way that they are 'perfect' in every aspect.. Unfortunately, nowadays companies hardly have flagship phones. They just release phones in many types to satisfy wide range of needs and prices bla bla bla..

Therefore, I am not quite satisfied with my current phone. Hence, I wanna get a new phone. Lol.. But I think I learnt my lessons ba. The most important thing for a phone is the convenience to sms and make phone calls. Other things (erm... except camera perhaps LOL) are secondary. So next time I will find something which is convenient to use/hold as a phone for daily usages as the main criteria to buy a phone. Well, at least I am grateful that I insisted on something with a keyboard. I will just die if I chose a phone which is totally touch screen. Haha..

So what's next??

No comments: