Saturday, August 14, 2010

Handphone Woes

This whole matter gave me headache for almost 2 weeks. It not only affected me but also my sister and my friends. Haha.. I keep asking for recommendations and they ended up getting pissed due to my indecisiveness. To be honest, I never found myself to be that indecisive before. Ironically, I didn't even think that much for more important decisions in my life eg: choosing whether to continue study in Singapore, choosing CCA, choosing JC, choosing uni course.

Anyway, the first hurdle was to decide whether I stayed with M1 or I hopped over to Singtel for $100 off my new handset. Haha.. My friend told me to stay with M1 for better customer service (which I agree!!) and per second billing. But few months back, M1 handset prices were ridiculously higher (up to $200+ difference) than Singtel. That was what tempted me to change since I thought I didn't really make so many phone calls. After much deliberation and reading people's experiences on online forums, I chose to stick with M1! Lately M1 prices are only within $50 from Singtel so I guess I rather pay more for the better service. After all I am a complainer and a noob so I would need a lot of help from the CSO. Lol.. I would be damn pissed if I am kept on hold and on hold..

Moving on to the bigger hurdle: what model to take! Again my indecisiveness made things worse. Initially, I wanted to get only Android and the latest ones! Price didn't matter!! After that my priority shifted to phones which support wi-fi and Flash browsing! Then it shifted to physical keyboard! Then I became anal about budget! But hey.. where is the camera? Lol.. Camera has always been my number #1 priority! I always consider it subconsciously. Haha.. I went through so many reviews and considered so many models.. Below is the list to let you know why I was so stressed

Sony Ericsson Xperia X10
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini Pro
Sony Ericsson Xperia X10 Mini
Sony Ericsson Vivaz Pro
Samsung Wave
Samsung Jet
Samsung Omnia II
HTC Wildfire
Iphone 3GS
Iphone 4
Sony Ericsson Satio
Sony Ericsson Hazel
LG Optimus
LG Lollipop
Motorola Flippers (don't remember the exact name)

The Xperia X10s are androids but unfortunately they don't support Flash so I striked them out. Since there were too many to consider, I decided that I should go to the shops to try the touch screen. I hate touchscreen so much because I am a heavy SMS user. I want to SMS quickly and preferable without looking at the screen. Samsung phones are out after I find the alphanumeric input is rather weird: 4 columns instead of the usual 3 making the 'buttons' smaller and making me missing the inputs. HTC is also out since there was no model to try on and I heard the battery is quite bad. I hate Apple and the reason IPhone came into the picture because I was thinking of buying it for my sister. She would then buy me a phone from Indo and we swapped. But IPhone 4 uses microsim which may not be available in Indo so yeah bye IPhone. At this point of time, I discovered that physical keyboard suits my need very well that's why I don't really consider IPhone.  Touch screen wise, only Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones can follow my pace of typing haha.. That's also why Satio came into the picture as well as LG Lollipop (nice flip design, nice colours) but unfortunately Lollipop lacks of one web capability which made me discarded that as an option. LG Optimus' touch screen was a nightmare for me (hard to aim and to press) so it was out.

And guess what phone I chose eventually: Nokia C6! Hell yeah! It was not even in my consideration before! Why did I finally choose that? The price was quite low $98, it has physical keyboard,  nice specs and nokia touch screen is okay for me. And after this my real hell began! Yeah.. 

I hate that phone in just less than 24 hours of using it. I could not bluetooth the contacts.. Contacts from my sim card turned out weird.. The gallery load time was like shit! The system was laggy and it actually hang once within less than 24 hours! I could not manage the content of the memory card via computer and I could not even install the Nokia programme to my com. I was going to demand an exchange and guess what: I discovered that it had a lousy speaker!! Bleah.. Dun even talk about smart phone if it cannot even be used for basic function of making phone calls! Not sure whether I got a faulty set or Nokia just sucks but I am glad that I can exchange to another model. I decided not to try my luck to get another set of C6 after meeting a friend who testified her Nokia phone went bonkers after just 1 month lol.. I am really thankful to M1 CSO (that justified my loyalty!!) in helping me to ensure that I could make an exchange..

I kinda regretted of not getting the LG Lollipop now.. It was $0 and I realised the most important feature for me is actually to call and to sms.. As long as can call and sms, other things are secondary :( Oh well since I can only change to something equivalent or more expensive, I considered Hazel ($98), X10 mini pro ($198) and Vivaz pro ($198). X10 mini pro was too mini and I had difficulty typing so yeah.. it's a no for me.. I settled on Vivaz Pro eventually. Hazel was too similar to my K800i.. and as much as I hate touch screen I thought I should try learning since maybe in the future, all phones would be touch screen XD and at least Vivaz Pro has the physical keyboard..

So yeah now the big question is: how happy am I with my Vivaz Pro?? The gallery load time is fantastic :) The keyboard + touch screen is ok :) And that's all. Haha.. The rest are minus points for me. The battery sucks.. It doesn't last even 2 days without wifi etc etc. The start up and the shutting down are quite slow. It used Symbian (and I come into conclusion that I fucking hate Symbian.. and since Symbian is made by Nokia, I will forever be hating Nokia). Thank goodness the Sony Ericsson programme could be installed to my com and it made the editing of the contacts less hell-ish. Since the load time and sms capability is ok, I guess I still can survive well ba..

But wait!! Lately it has problem recognising my simcard zz!! I don't know it's the simcard problem or it's the phone problem!! Roar!!! Why am I sooo unlucky!!! Haiz.. I am gonna check it out this weekend and see how for the updates.

So after all, I am quite regretful.. Perhaps I should just go for the Lollipop.. It's free, it's stylish, and it's fully keyboard. Haiz.. Looks like my K800i is still the best for me..

No comments: