Tuesday, February 3, 2009

God or Coincidence?

A friend of mine is currently in Singapore for his music course interview at NUS. I left him with my contact number but I heard nothing from the day he arrived so I assumed that I would not be able to see him. But guess wat? Before I left for school today, I just informally prayed so that I could miraculously meet him at school. Now what is the chance of that happening? Very little no? But guess what, as I was alighting the bus from behind, I saw my friend sitting at the bus stop!! Wow... Wasn't that really coincidental? If it were not for CAW, I would not go to school at such an akward timing. I waited for quite sometime for the bus also. After talking to him, I found out that he came early as yesterday he missed 95 twice so he did not wanna be late for the interview.. Lol... Seriously... Do you believe in God? Yes I do!! It has been at least 5 years since I met him. Haha.. Yes I was happy and it was quite funny to recall how childish we used to be. Both of us have changed a lot since the good old days. Lol... And one thing I am very happy about is: he is not as tall as I expected. Yeah!! Lol.. I wish him all the very best for his interview. It will be so cool if he gets the place and studies here too :)

Here is a story from a church bulletin 2 weeks ago. It is very apt to me... Sadly... Here it goes:

Once upon a time, there lived a King who, despite his luxurious lifestyle, was neither happy nor content. One day, the King came upon a servant who was singing happily while he worked. This fascinated the King; why was he, the Supreme Ruler of the Land, unhappy and gloomy, while a lowly servant had so much joy.

The King asked the servant, "Why are you so happy?"

The servant replied, "Your Majesty, I am nothing but a servant, but my family and I don't need too much - just a roof over our heads and warm food to fill our tummies".

The King was not satisfied with the reply. Later he sought the advice of his most trusted advisor. The advisor said, "Your Majesty, I believe that the servant has not been made part of The 99 Club".

"The 99 Club? What exactly is that?" the King inquired.

The advisor replied, "To know what The 99 Club is, place 99 Gold coins in a bag and leave it at this servant's doorstep".

When the servant saw the bag, he took it into his house. When he opened the bag, he let out a great shout of joy... So many gold coins! He began to count them. After several counts, he was at last convinced that there were 99 coins. He wondered, "What could've happened to that last gold coin? Surely, no one would leave 99 coins!". He looked everywhere but the final coin was elusive. Finally, exhausted, he decided to work harder than ever to earn that 100th coin to complete his collection.

From that day, his life was changed. He was overworked, horribly grumpy, and castigated his family for not helping him make that last coin. He stopped singing while he worked.

Witnessing this drastic transformation, the King was puzzled. The advisor said, "Your Majesty, the servant has now officially joined The 99 Club. The 99 Club is a name give to those people who have enough to be happy but are never contented, because they're always yearning and striving for that extra one, saying to themselves: let me get that one final thing then I will be happy".

We can be happy, even with very little in our lives, but the minute we're given something bigger and better, we want even more! We lose our sleep, our happiness, we hurt the people around us; all these as a price for our growing needs and desires.

That's The 99 Club.

For me, that will be The 4.9 Club. Yeah... I remembered my very semester, I was so anxious and would be happy as long as I could retain my scholarship (that's a 3.5). I was given a 4.9 and look where I am now. Sigh... I wish I can quickly get out of this club and lead a happy life... just like I was 3 semesters ago... Kinda sad...

No comments: